Tanisha Garcia | Sometimes Abnormality is Perfectly Fine

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 20, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Tanisha Garcia shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
What Drives Me to Achieve More! One really doesn't understand how precious life is, until it's almost taken away. My story is a reflection of this. So many times, we wake up each day and fall in to a "normal" routine. Make the bed, get ready for work, drink a cup of coffee, eat breakfast, and head out the door. What if one day changed all of this? What if we don't have to do the "normal" routine anymore? I'd like to say on July 22nd, 2017 I was transformed. I was doing what I have loved for many years that day. Riding my bicycle alongside my husband. On that day, we decided we were going to ride towards the beach and enjoy the beautiful day. That all came to a crashing halt, when I was hit from behind by a car going 55 MPH. My husband said watching me hit the windshield of the car, flying up in the air 10 feet, and then crashing to the ground, he thought for certain I was dead. I don't remember anything from the incident. I woke up when I felt individuals pulling at my ears to take out my piercings in the trauma room. Since then, I have made a full recovery. Although, there is one caveat. I will live with traumatic brain injury for the rest of my life. I can appreciate the things that are "abnormal" much more. I find that my writing skills are not "normal". I'm fine with that! Having family by my side is much more appreciated. It took me some time to overcome getting back on a bicycle again. On November 9th, 2019 I walked out ready to ride. My husband tells me, "The Phoenix has risen". Learn to appreciate the "abnormal" to achieve more!

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes