Katherine Roff | The Role Educators Have in Teaching to Make Informed Choices

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Katherine Roff shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle Aristotle's words, although written more than two thousand years ago, resonate just as powerfully with our world today as they did then. To me, education is at its heart as a way of developing critical thinking, especially in a higher education sphere. It is a way of empowering students with the skills and knowledge they will need not just to navigate the exams and assignments they encounter in the classroom, but to inform their professional decisions throughout life. I have been teaching, in a variety of capacities, for more than 10 years and remain as passionate about imparting knowledge as when I began. I have proudly run classrooms in Australia, Costa Rica, New Zealand and here in the USA, and have developed a teaching style that is inclusive and encouraging. I believe all students have experience and knowledge that they can bring to the classroom, and their education must be led by their own discoveries. One of my proudest teaching moments came from a high school lesson in which my students unpacked signs of racial prejudice in their community. It was encouraging to see their awareness unfold as they talked about what they had experienced, and to watch them take stock of their own – and other – viewpoints. Despite their age, they were able to begin to critically analyze their perspectives. This kind of critical thinking is so important in today's political and social climate, especially when it comes to media consumption, and educators have a vital role to play in teaching students not what decisions to make, but how to make informed decisions.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes