Holly McKee | What Drives Me is the Call to Step Outside my Comfort Zone

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Holly shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I am a weekend athlete. I do things because I can. Because there is an internal drive that calls me to step outside of my comfort zone. To push forward. To do things that aren't easy. To do things that others don't. Last year I completed a Half Ironman triathlon. For those unfamiliar with the term, a Half Ironman triathlon is a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and 13.1 mile run. It was a goal that stretched me physically and mentally during the training and the event itself. There were moments I didn't think I would finish. There were moments I wanted to quit. But I didn't. I finished. I am not a quitter and do not shy away from difficult physical endeavors. Right now, I am engaged in another challenge. I am working to finish my PhD. Why should I not apply the same standards and values to my education that I do to physical endeavors? Completing my PhD requires me to set goals, train and finish. Completing my PhD is like crossing the finish line after a big race. I can do this. I want my children to see me finish. I want the medal around my neck. The crown on my head. The stripes on my arms. All the training and preparation have led to this moment. As a first generation college student, I do not remember a time that I didn't want to achieve this goal. I work in an educational institution. I see the struggle that our students overcome daily to reach their goals. I want to be able to show them that they can achieve big things. Professionally, I have been employed at my current institution for over 20 years. I have held two positions during that time. My roles have changed over the years and I have been able to learn and grow and assume new responsibilities. However, I would like to be a viable candidate for new positions both at my current institution and elsewhere. I have been blessed to raise my children with the stability my current job offered. My children are quickly coming to an age that would allow me to explore new opportunities and I want to be prepared for what's next. Additionally, I want to be able to apply what I will learn through the dissertation process to my current work. The challenge is big but the drive to achieve it is bigger. I'm in the middle of the race, but I can see the finish line before me. I will keep running. I will finish this race.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes