Oluwabukola Bamidele | How I Want to Make a Difference for My People

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Oluwabukola shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I want to make a difference in my country as a woman. I am a Nigerian and growing up there has made me realize that we are a society of strong, influential black people. We have the means to show Africa that we are truly the Giants of Africa, but we lack progress because our leaders are corrupt, and they take things for granted. The women are greatly looked down upon when we come out to speak and we are told that we are not strong enough or we cannot handle the situation as well as a man would. I want to overcome this mentality and use whatever means I am given to stand up for my rights a strong, independent woman and be seen as an equal with men in my country. Over the years, I have noticed that no woman has ever dared to run for the presidency. It is unlikely that she would win, and everyone knows that, but are we going to keep on living this mentality and be afraid to take a step to reach for our goals? Hillary Clinton ran for presidency in America. She did not win, but at least she took a leap of faith and was sure that was what she wanted to do. Over here in Nigeria, it is different. No one takes a leap of faith. Everyone just goes with the flow. Now, I am not saying that I want to run for presidency in my country, but I am not afraid to take a leap of faith to make a difference and to represent every woman in my country. I want to be the foundation, the voice for every woman in my country and say, "Our time has come, and we are the change this country needs".

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes