Liana Valente | Hard Work Will Take You Far

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Liana shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I have made a career for myself as a musician, both as a performer and teacher. However, it is as a teacher that I have had the most impact. For more than 25 years I have taught students ages 9 through 70. Each student comes with their own goals and hopes for the future. However, my students leave me with a new sense of what is possible for them. They not only learn music from me, they learn how to think critically, how to question the status quo, and how to make plans and implement actions for positive change. My students are successful when they have found a path for themselves that allows them to explore the world, help others, and gain fulfillment in their work. While many of my students do go on to have exceptional careers as music teachers, performers, ministers and therapists, many of my students do NOT become full-time musicians. These are the students who join the Peace Corps, enter military service and work at non-profit organizations. They are philanthropists, lawyers and missionaries. They are doctors, veterinarians, nurses and law enforcement officers. They are mothers, fathers, foster parents and guardians. They use their talents to help others and excel due, in part, to the lessons they learned from me. I am all too aware of the challenges my students face, from crippling student debt to prejudices both overt and covert. My goal is to train them to be excellent thinkers and powerful doers who are conscious of their place in the world and their abilities to change that world. I train musicians and my musicians make positive changes in the world every day. This is what drives me to excel as a teacher: the knowledge that what I say, how I say it, and how I lead my life makes a difference in the lives of my students.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes