Angel Leija | Priding One's Self on Who They Are

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Angel shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
To live in a society that prides itself on independence, but shoves you in a box with a glimpse of you, is a society I do not have pride in. To live in a country that was founded by immigrants, but believes you do not belong, is a country I do not have pride in. But this is my country and this is the society that raised me. It has showed me that the world is my classroom and I am studying to one day become the teacher. The classroom gave me mental strength to understand people, but it is my experiences of being a queer, Latinx individual that gave me the emotional strength to advocate for them. They push me every day to finish my Bachelors degree and pursue a PhD to become a professor. As I write this letter, I am sitting in Washington, DC, where I am interning for the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute and work in my hometown's Member of Congress to receive my final units of my degree. Never did I imagine that I would study the history of immigration laws and LGBTQ rights one day and then be working on improving them the next. Society says there is no space for queer individuals in public spaces. The country says latinxs are "rapists" and "murderers." And well, I am here to not only prove it wrong, but be the change that my community deserves. I work to live in a society that will pride itself on not leaving anyone in the shadows or closet. I fight to live in a country that will protect LGBTQ rights and value immigrants. I achieve more by dreaming of receiving a PhD to gain power through knowledge and share it with the world.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes