Jade Wilkinson | The Kindness of One Family's Choice

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Laura Garcia shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I hope to become a doctor to fulfill my dream, but also to give back to the country and my parents, who gave so much to me and my adopted siblings. I want to become selfless to those who live selflessly every day. I want to take care of the hurt and the lost. Writing this makes me think of all the hardships that made me into the servant leader that I strive to be today. I was mostly influenced by my parents, especially my Dad. He came from a family that wasn't much for communication or physical love. Yet, he was second person to go to college in his lineage. My adopted grandfather served this country in WWII. My adopted grandmother was a an inhabitant of the Dutch community, Pella in Iowa. On my Dad's side, my grandfather spent his whole life on the farm. My sweet grandmother died when my Dad was 13-years-old of Jaundice. My eldest adopted brother, John David was adopted from Wisconsin. My next eldest brother, John Luke was adopted from Illinois. My eldest sister was adopted from Ohio. My older twin sisters were adopted from around the area of Guangzhou, China. My twin sister and l are adopted from around the area of Phnom Penh, Cambodia. My little sisters, who are about a month apart, are adopted from Guatemala. The three eldest adoptions and us younger six adoptions stories show the difference of how hard it was to get out of a country because you were born with something or someone that could get you killed. My three eldest brothers and sister never had to worry, at birth, if they were going to survive another day or if their last breath was going to be breathed. That's how serious us younger six adoptions were. Being able to be here now, proves that there is better plan for me somewhere.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes