Irene Knokh | Being a Mentor to Others Drives Me

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Irene Knokh shares what drives him to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
My mom was the first one in her family to get higher education. She always encourages me to reach higher and to learn from others. Once I became a mentor three years ago, I realized that I can develop my own interests , share them with others-and help them grow. There are days when it's just hard to kick the Impostor Syndrome to the curb-but I learned to do it after thinking about the crocodiles and gators. :=) You have to STOP making them run in your head and question everything that you do. I currently mentor for IT Mentoring program at the University of Michigan and through the ID2ID Educause program. My mentees and I learn a lot from each other-we are currently working on developing a resource site for Universal Design and Accessibility. I put together a list of resources during my first year as a program participant and now creating a more viable and, hopefully, user friendly resource with my current mentee. Collaborative work allows both of us to grow-we attend and discuss webinars together, talk about the best ways to support faculty, students, and our fellow colleagues-and have fun! It's worth taking the first step-even if it means doubting yourself. If you need a listening board-a mentor, a colleague, and someone who won't judge-let me know. ps. I just wrote a blog on mentoring and professional development-American Talent Development . Let me know if you'd like me to attach it. It also has my picture. :=) Otherwise, I use a cute gator or a croc (or Inspector Gadget), as my avatar.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes