Jim Codling | Hard Work Pays Off

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Jim Codling shares what drives him to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I work because I feel it is my God given responsibility. I do not work just for the money but I am driven to use my talents to the full. If I did not I would feel frustrated and even useless. I feel happiest when I am working at something that I know will benefit others. Without the satisfaction of knowing I am doing the best I can I will not be happy. When I left my first teaching role I heard that the staff did not expect my replacement to do all that I did. However, I do not begrudge that I worked hard. I am happy that I was able to give my students all I did. My parents and grandparents motivated me to do as much as I could. They worked very hard with little but accomplished a great legacy in rearing five boys who were successful and had families that break the norm. I have accomplished most of what I set out to do. I published, taught, and helped people in need. I experienced great joy in all these areas. Although I had hoped my books and articles would have had more of an impact, the discipline and accomplishment were worthwhile. I taught K- graduate school and have found great joy in being a role model to some of my students. Even as a youth I enjoyed helping others. Shoveling snow for neighbors and our family, visiting old people, and always being willing to help out after school. When something needed doing I guess I'd be the go to guy. After university I began teaching I coached at a small high school which meant I coached everything. However I enjoyed it. I was happy that I could give my students opportunities and experiences they may never have had. I helped with young people's groups as I wanted them to have more experiences to enjoy life. I feel that summer camps are a positive experience that many kids need. I had summer missions while at grad. school because I enjoyed working with people. I worked on the mission field not because I had to but because I felt I could make a difference in the lives of the people with whom I worked. In working with people who had specific needs ( physical, emotional, educational, or spiritual) I found that I was blessed. These folks helped me. They made me feel good about myself and showed me that hard work pays dividends. Now I set out to make a difference in our community. There seem to be so many people that need help. I try to share so that they can be better off. I want my children to be able to look at their lives and be happy. Thus my work is to try and help them as much as I can to succeed. They have done that in school and work. I trust they will do well in other areas of life.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes