Candice Ward | How One Person Can Impact Your Life

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Candice Ward shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I believe that our struggles in life help us to be strong and that in our struggles we find our peace. I have had my fair share of struggles, from growing up without a mom, to being bullied, to losing a loved one. Life has not been easy, but nothing worth having ever is. I lost my grandparents when I was 12. They were my whole world and my whole heart. I became depressed and suicidal. At 12 years old I wanted to die. I couldn't see a way out and I blamed God. I hated him for taking my grandparents away from me and in that blame and hatred I lost my faith and myself. Freshman year of high school I decided to join chorus. It was a simple decision that would end up changing my life forever. My chorus teacher, Mr. Wright, became my safe haven. It was towards the end of the year and I was having a really hard time. I was done and I was giving up. I was going to end it. I guess he could sense something was wrong because he came over to me and asked if I was okay. I told him I was and that I was just dealing with some stuff. He listened and then he said, "If I never learn anything from him, learn this: No one is worth stealing your joy." I can't even begin to describe to you the feeling I felt after hearing those words. Its like they traveled right out of his mouth and wound themselves in and around my heart. They grounded me to the earth. When I went home, I wasn't able to go through with what I had planned. I heard those words in my head and they just kept getting louder and louder. I didn't give up that day, nor any day since. That was 5 years ago, and I am proud to say I am not the same person I was. I am stronger and I am whole. Mr. Wright saved my life and he made me want to save others. So, what drives me to achieve more? He does and my grandparents do. I do it for them. I do it for me. I do it so I can save others, one person at a time.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes