Stacey Frazier | Students' Desire to Succeed Drives Me to Help Them Succeed

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Stacey Frazier shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
What drives Stacey Frazier to #AchieveMore? Picture a student, whose native language is Spanish and is over 2,000 miles from home, sitting in a computer lab trying to compose an essay in English. This student's life in the United States depends on his ability to succeed in college. His family's livelihood weighs heavily on his shoulders. The moment his instructor looks at him, after he sat staring at the computer screen for more than hour, feelings of failure rush over him. This particular scenario occurred my first year of teaching freshman level composition students. I realized, as I looked into his eyes, what underprepared writings students experience when they begin college. This was the moment I felt the push to commit myself to be the best composition teacher these students deserve. He and all of the other underprepared students are what drive my work. So many students enter their college careers having deficiencies in various areas. A deficiency in writing places a burden that may be hard for students to bear. Writing is such an essential piece to college success that students need mastery to be successful. I needed to find a way to not only help them learn to write but to also help them feel the success they can achieve. These students have been my continued motivation over the years. Those students, they, are the ones who motived me to go back to school and study education, focusing on curriculum, to help set a path for them and those who follow similar paths. I even used their needs as a focus for my dissertation research. I can only hope I can teach them that they have to ability to be successful, important and be the change our society needs.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes