Laura Mendoza | Providing Students With the Care and Opportunities They Deserve

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020Last modified by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Laura Mendoza shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
For a couple of years, I worked as a Research Assistant for the Psychology Department in the local university; it was the first step for becoming a psychologist. However, when I started my Master's degree I was offered a TAship where my only duty would be helping as an ESL (English as a Second Language) tutor; after just one semester, it promptly escalated to having the opportunity of teaching one of these ESL classes. It was the Fall semester, and after no more than two weeks teaching, I discovered my real call, teaching. When I started college, I was just like them; new school, new country, new language. It was shocking culturally and personally; not the best, nor inspiring, way to start your college path. In fact I hated it! For this reason, when I had the opportunity of teaching my first ESL college class, I promised myself that I would devote my professional life to offer them not just all available resources, but also the opportunities, support, and caring environment in the classroom where they could feel integrated, respected, and valued. I promised myself to #achievemore for them by taking risks, listening to their stories, and more importantly, learning from them. It was never the plan, but teaching has led me to better understand the processes, struggles, and changes that I commited to when I first started college. Conjointly, teaching has also taught me that promoting learning is just one of the many goals educators might have as part of their agendas; teaching allows you to teach, to learn, to inspire. Now as I enter the ESL classroom, I remember the promise I made to myself of trying to offer them their best college experience, and it helps me to polish my passion for teaching.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes