Grecia Diaz | My Parent's Risks Ensured I Have a Better Future

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Grecia Diaz shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
The sacrifices my parents endured migrating to the United States act as the primary driving forces motivating me the past 22 years. My parents migration story began when I was born in 1996. Shortly 10 months after I was born, my father traveled to the U.S. with the hope of attaining the "American Dream" for his newly formed family. He couchsurfed and worked tirelessly to save money for us to migrate with him, however that took over one year. When the time was right, my mother abandoned her life, family and friends in Mexico. She risked her life crossing the U.S-Mexico border to provide me with the opportunities she never had growing up. My mother was nineteen when she placed the future of her two year old daughter before her own aspirations and goals. Despite our dangerous travels and sacrifices, I believe the American Dream is unattainable for immigrants like us. Immigration who are depicted as "criminals" and "rapist" for wanting a better future for their children. For over 20 years, my dad has worked through harsh weather conditions as a construction worker to provide us with food and shelter. Despite my father's strong work ethic, the money he earned was never enough. It is their constant sacrifices that push me through the hardships that I encounter as a first generation, low income student of color. Despite the odds, their sacrifices have paid off. In 2015, I became the first in my family to graduate high school with a 4.3 GPA. In December 2019, I will be the first in my family to receive a Bachelor's degree from the number one public university, UC Berkeley. These two accomplishments are only the beginning of my journey towards providing my parents with the financially stable lifestyle they deserve.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes