LaToya Faulk | Influencing Others Through a Dedication to Serving Communities in Need

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
ELaToya Faulk shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
Consuming new knowledge can feel daunting at times, especially if you don't have the proper skills, support, or confidence needed when educational challenges arise. I was raised by my grandmother in Saginaw, Michigan. As a teenager, I was fascinated with the idea of sharing knowledge with others, and by the time I started college I became devoted to developing deeper understandings of the world through literature and writing. Having been raised in an impoverished community where many of my relatives worked in service industries as custodians, cashiers, and dishwashers, I learned to value hard work and perseverance. When I wasn't helping my grandmother perform domestic duties, I devoured a diverse body of authors. I wanted desperately to understand the history of class, race, and poverty in America since so much of the obstacles faced by those I loved seemed to center around these subjects. My grandmother didn't have the resources needed for me to get ahead in my studies, and I was often challenged as a first generation low income college student while pursuing a undergraduate degree. However, when I look back on my studies in undergraduate and graduate school, it was the work that lead me to questions I needed answers to that gave me the most intellectual satisfaction. As a writing instructor, I work hard to encourage students to engage with societal issues that impact communities they care about and to ask important questions about the world in which we live. My work with students has shown me the importance of providing opportunities to engage the world with a critical eye toward encouraging change and moving beyond the polarizing depiction of issues where we lose sight of the complexities of the human experience. With this, students actively seek out solutions to problems found within the communities they cherish.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes