Trina Diaz | Having Confidence to Face Adversity

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Trina Diaz shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
I am driven to achieve more because I know, now, that I can. I've developed a rich relationship with confidence and a desire to immerse myself in meaningful work. I'm a fourth year undergraduate student at the University of California, Irvine. After I obtain my bachelor's degree in Criminology, Law and Society I have plans to attend law school. I foresee myself working in Civil Law with concentrations in Civil and Human Rights. Alone, these goals already seem ambitious; however, given context, 17-year-old me would have thought them to be unattainable. I remember this moment vividly - the senior students in my high school AP English class were excitedly talking amongst themselves about the universities that they had applied to. Throughout my entire academic career I was convinced that people "like me" did not go to college. I'm a daughter of an immigrant, I lived in a humble household, and I'm youngest child out of five; not a single person in my home brothers, sisters, and parents included pursued a higher education. I closed the door on myself because I didn't have the confidence to face these challenges. Instead of focusing on college applications during my senior year I took on extra shifts at the McDonald's down the street. I knew that work experience was key for those of us who would not be continuing their education. Fast forward ten years later, I'm on track to complete my Bachelor of Arts degree in June of 2020 just four days before my thirtieth birthday. What drives me to achieve more? I know that I can, and I know there are others out there that believe taking hold of their future is impossible. My goal is to share my story so that they know they, too, can achieve more.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes