Sha Xiong | Finding My Way as a First-Generation Student

Document created by Sara Jo Lee on Mar 22, 2020
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Sha Xiong shares what drives her to achieve more.
My Journey to #AchieveMore
Towards the end of my sophomore year I got very sick from the common cold. I was in bed for 4 days and missed a whole week of school. Since I had been sick for almost a whole week, I was taken to the ER that evening because my body started shivering and my coughs were very bad. My visit to the ER was not covered for because my medi-aid was not filled out so I did not have any medical insurance that whole year. I told my dad that I did not want to go to the ER because I'm scared that the bill won't be cover and my parents may end up having to pay for it. However my dad insisted because I'd been sick for a whole week and he was worried that I might fall behind in school due to my sickness. After visiting the ER, I came back home with prescribed medicine which has helped lessen my coughs and made me feel a lot better. After two weeks, a bill was mailed to my house, it was a total of about $340. Seeing the bill made me upset and sad because I felt bad for being sick and so now my parents have to pay for it even though I knew they didn't have much left. Then another bill of about the same price was sent the following week of about $300 as well. The total of my visit to the ER was about $640-700. My hope is that no family will have to go through this because I know that a lot of families struggled financially during times like this. I've always dreamed of becoming a Heart Surgeon. I love the idea of helping people and seeing the smiles on their faces. Being able to complete a degree in Medicine and Health will be the best thing for me. After completing my education, I would like to help my Hmong Community out and most importantly the Community I'm living in right now. I want to advocate for things such as financial support, access to medicine, and everyone to have someone that cares for them. As a Doctor, I would like to be open and listen to my patients' problems and try my best to help them out. If they have financial issues, I would like to help them for free and I don't want anything in return but for them to be happy and healthy. Growing up in a low income family, and being the youngest out of my 12 siblings, I knew my parents could not afford to give each and every one of us what we wanted but they did their best to provide us with clothes and food to fill our stomachs. As the first child in my family who will be attending a 4 year college, completing my education will allow me to help not just my family but also my community in the future.

What Drives You to #AchieveMore?

Attachments

Outcomes