A Writer's Reference, Eighth Edition: Scavenger Hunt Answer Key

Document created by Karita dos Santos Employee on Aug 18, 2015Last modified by Karita dos Santos Employee on Sep 4, 2015
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Using A Writer’s Reference, Eighth Edition WR.png

Scavenger hunt

Work in pairs to explore the handbook for your course.

Find key ways into the book.  Find the advice you’ll need as you write this semester.

NAVIGATION

1. ____ I found the book’s main index.  It’s 51 pages long. If I look up “flow” in the index, I see that there’s a more technical term for that word:  coherence.

2. ____ I found the main menu. Looking at the main menu, I see that there’s a sample argument paper in section A4-h. I know that I’ll need section MLA-4 to document sources in MLA style. Sections P1 and P2 will help me with commas.

3. ___ I found a list of contents on the back of each tab. I see that section C1 has 4 subsections.

4. If my teacher uses the number-letter codes to respond to my draft, I’ll know that S4-a means I should try to make the point of view consistent in person and number in my paper.

ADVICE & MODELS   List section numbers or page numbers for the following:

5. Advice about writing introductions and conclusions: C2-a and C2-c

6. Checklist for thinking through my writing situation: page 5

7. Advice about thesis statements; samples of good thesis statements: C1-c

8. Guidelines for active reading: page 75

9. A writing guide for an analytical essay: pp. 82-83

10. Samples of annotated readings (readings with student notes on them): pp. 72-73, 86

11. Advice about using specific evidence in argument papers: A4-e

12. Help for summarizing & analyzing a text (like an essay in your reader): A1-c, A1-d (also A2-c, A2-d)

13. Examples of multimodal texts: pp, 84, 86, 96

14. Examples of good research questions: pp. 359-361

15. Help with understanding and avoiding plagiarism: R2-c, MLA-2, APA-2, CMS-2

16. An example of how to document an article from a database in MLA style: pp. 432-433

17. Seeking feedback on a draft offers a smart start to revising. These pages show a student draft with peer comments:  pp. 32-33.

18. Section A5 gives advice for public speaking.

19. Section G6 covers how to find and fix run-on sentences.

20. Section P4 covers how to find and fix problems with apostrophes.

21. Page 370 includes a chart of information needed for a working bibliography.

22. Page 29 includes a checklist for revising my essay.

23. My instructor wants me to use sources that are scholarly. Page 380 includes a checklist for determining if a source is a scholarly source.

24. This section covers how to integrate sources in APA style: APA-3.  APA is the preferred citation style in the academic discipline called: social sciences

25. BONUS: If my class uses LaunchPad (the digital version of the handbook), I would get there using this URL: hackerhandbooks.com/writersref

Attachments

Outcomes