SCAVENGER HUNT answer key
Work in pairs to explore the handbook for your composition
course. Explore key ways into the book. Find the advice you’ll
need as you write this semester.
1. ____I found the book’s main index. It starts on page __684___.
2. ____I found the brief menu. Looking at the brief menu, I see that there’s a chapter on writing about texts that starts on page __70___. I know that I’ll need section __59___ to document sources in MLA style. Sections ___32__ and __33___ will help me with commas.
3. If my teacher uses number-letter codes to respond to my draft, I’ll know that 23b means I should try to ____avoid using this, that, which, and it in a way that is vague or ambiguous______ in my paper.
4. At the top of each page, above the grey line, I can find this sort of information: ___________key words that describe what’s on the page_____________________
ADVICE & MODELS List section numbers or page numbers for the following:
5. Advice about writing introductions and conclusions _______2a, 2c_____________
6. Checklist for thinking through my writing situation ___________page 3___________
7. Advice about thesis statements; samples of good thesis statements _____2a___
8. Guidelines for active reading ___________page 71____________
9. Samples of annotated readings (readings with student notes on them)_pages 72, 73___
10. Advice about using specific evidence in argument papers ____6e_______________
11. Discussion of using “emotional appeals” in writing ______7b____________
12. Examples of good research questions _______pages 422-423___________
13. Help with understanding and avoiding plagiarism ______55c_________
14. How to document an article from a database in MLA style ___page 507________
15. Writing an outline is one way to plan an essay. There’s a sample outline on page _20-21_.
16. Section ___20__ covers how to find and fix run-on sentences.
17. Section ___36__ covers how to find and fix problems with apostrophes.
18. Page __450___ includes a chart of information needed for a working bibliography.
19. Page __36-37____ includes a checklist for revising my essay.
20. My instructor wants me to use sources that are scholarly. Page __441____ includes a checklist for determining if a source is a scholarly source.
21. Section ___7 (or 54)____ covers how to evaluate another writer’s argument.
22. Bonus: I found more model papers online. The Web address for my book’s companion site is ______hackerhandbooks.com/rules________________. I clicked on
___Model papers____________ from the home page to get to additional sample student papers.