From Mariette's Blog: Executive Summit on Aug. 5: The Science of Learning

Document created by Laura Wind Employee on Jul 24, 2015Last modified by Laura Wind Employee on Jul 30, 2015
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Posted by Rachel Scheer in Learning in a Digital World on Jul 16, 2014 2:01:00 PM

Last year, MSE brought of a terrifically successful agenda-setting STEM event, with editorial in Scientific American and Nature, called Executive Summit: Learning in a Digital Age. We had 120 attendees from the worlds of science, education, policy and business, and got coverage in the NY Times and elsewhere.

Here's the link to my past post: SA and MS&E's Education Executive STEM Summit: Learning in the Digital Age

And here are all the videos (with thanks to Rachel Scheer for compiling!) :

Learning in the Digital Age

Part I:

Part II:

Part III:

Part IV:

This year, for our second annual Executive Summit, the theme is The Science of Learning. The inspiration is a Scientific American feature article (attached) in our August issue (out now!). The event will be on August 5 in New York City from 8 am to 2 pm. As we did last year, we are collaborating closely with Susan Winslow on planning, and invite suggestions, and welcome Katherine Geraghty as well. On the Scientific American planning team are Michael VossDiane Schube and Rachel Scheer from Comms.

More on the theme: Researchers are conducting hundreds of experiments in an effort to bring more rigorous science to U.S. schools--making these places of learning more efficacious. The new research is challenging widely held beliefs, such as that teachers should be judged primarily on the basis of their academic credentials, that classroom size is paramount, and that students need detailed instructions to learn. The event will have a keynote, panels and "lightning" Q&As. I will serve as MC, but we'll torture--I mean, feature--other MSE colleagues in various visible roles as well.

Attachments

Outcomes