The Bedford Handbook, Ninth Edition
SCAVENGER HUNT answer key
Work in pairs to explore the handbook for your composition
course. Explore key ways into the book. Find the advice you’ll
need as you write this semester.
1. _a_I found the book’s main index. It starts on page _ Index-1_ .
2. _a_I found the brief menu. Looking at the brief menu, I see that there’s a chapter on
reading and writing critically that starts on page _109_. I know that I’ll need section _56_ to document sources in MLA style. Sections _32_ and _33_ will help me with commas.
3. If my teacher uses number-letter codes to respond to my draft, I’ll know that 23b
means I should try to ___ avoid using this, that, which, and it in a way that is vague or
ambiguous_______ in my paper.
4. At the back of the book, I see a list of revision symbols and a guide to grammatical terms. If my teacher writes “dm” in the margin of my draft, this section in the handbook can help: ___12e_____ If I don’t know what a “compound subject” is, I can look here: ___47a____.
ADVICE & MODELS List section numbers or page numbers for the following:
5. Advice about writing introductions and conclusions ___1e, 1g______
6. Checklist for thinking through my writing situation ___page 12______
7. Advice about thesis statements; samples of good thesis statements __1c____
8. Guidelines for active reading ____page 114________
9. Samples of annotated readings (readings with student notes on them) _ pages 111, 131______
10. Advice about using specific evidence in argument papers ___6h_____
11. Help for forming an interpretation in a literature class __ 7b_____
12. Examples of good research questions ___ pages 519-520____________
13. Help with understanding and avoiding plagiarism __54_____
14. How to document an article from a database in MLA style ___page 609______
15. Writing an outline is one way to plan an essay. There’s a sample outline
on pages _ 38-39___.
16. Section __20__ covers how to find and fix run-on sentences.
17. Section _36__ covers how to find and fix problems with apostrophes.
18. Page _ 532__ includes a chart of information needed for a working bibliography.
19. Page __64__ includes a checklist for revising my essay.
20. My instructor wants me to use sources that are scholarly. Page _545__ includes a
checklist for determining if a source is a scholarly source.
21. Section __6b__ covers how to evaluate appeals (ethos, logos, pathos) in another writer’s argument.
22. Bonus: I can find the integrated media material that comes with my book at this URL: ______hackerhandbooks.com/bedhandbook_____________________________.