Discouraging Texting While Teaching Students About Research Methods

Document created by Lisa Hager on Oct 19, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

A recent article published in Teaching of Psychology (see citation below) manipulated students' texting behavior in a classroom situation. The researchers found that texting during lecture decreased students' grades on a subsequent quiz (60.14% correct in texting condition and 79.22% correct in no texting condition in Study 1; 73.41% in texting condition and 83% in no texting condition in Study 2). I am using this article in my Developmental Psychology text as part of my coverage of research methods. Students are required to read the article and answer the following questions as part of their application of the research methods material: Please answer each of the following questions asking about:

Gingerich, A.C., & Lineweaver, T.T. (2014).  OMG! Texting in class = U Fail Empirical evidence that text messaging during class disrupts comprehension. Teaching of Psychology, 41(1), 44-51.doi:10.1177/0098628313514177

1. What question were the researchers asking in Experiment 1?
  2. What is the independent variable?
  3. What are some tasks that all students completed regardless of the condition they were in? Why?
  4. What are the dependent variables?
  5. What did the researchers find?
  6. Why did the researchers do Experiment 2? How did it differ from Experiment 1?
  7. What is the independent variable?
  8. What are some tasks that all students completed regardless of the condition they were in? Why?
  9. What are the dependent variables?
  10. What did the researchers find?
  11. Did you find this evidence convincing? Why or why not?
  12. How will you apply this information to your own behavior?

This way I can discourage texting by providing empirical support for how it can negatively impact grades and learning and have my students apply what they have learned about research methods.

2 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes