Interest Inventories and Jobs--Teaching Current Directions in Psychological Science

Document created by Lisa Hager on Oct 19, 2015
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

One of the September topics in the APS Observer's Teaching Current Directions in Psychological Science column is on interest inventories and helping students to discover their interests and how those interests can contribute to career paths. I cover the topics of college, career development, and flow in my developmental psychology class. I plan to use this activity in that class and with my advisees who are struggling to identify their interests. The piece summarizes a published article in Current Directions in Psychological Science that was written by Rounds & Su (2014). The authors summarize the research on matching interests to vocations and provide the url for the Occupational Information Network sponsored by the Department of Labor (www.mynextmove.org/explore/ip). Students can respond to 60 items and then get their RIASEC (Holland) profile along with a list of possible careers. This site could be useful for class as well as for advising. 

Attachments

Outcomes