LearningCurve Faculty Consultants

Document created by Laura Wind Employee on Nov 12, 2015Last modified by Alanna Smith on Dec 9, 2016
Version 7Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Faculty Consultant for English

allen john.png

Name: John Allen

Department: English

School: Milwaukee Area Technical College (WI)

Product: LearningCurve

How do you use LearningCurve? I initially used LearningCurve activities as extra credit.  Students seemed to like them.  I now assign specific activities to individual students based on their greatest needs after I have read their essays.

Advice on using technology with students: Start small. Incorporate one digital resource and learn how to use it effortlessly before adding more.

Faculty Consultant for Psychology

ehlers don.png

Name:
Don Ehlers

Department: Behavioral Sciences

School: Northwest Missouri State University (MO)

Product: LearningCurve

How do you use LearningCurve? I utilize LearningCurve as the online component of my General Psychology curriculum. Students are required to complete the LearningCurve activities that are related to the chapter we covered during that week. They are assigned the activities in lieu of Friday class time. When they have completed an activity to competency, they receive 5 points. Thus, they are rewarded for completing the activity with the 5 points possible, not with a letter or percentage grade. The data I have collected supports the value of this approach in the average exam scores correlated with percentage of LearningCurve activities completed.

Advice on using technology with students: I'm not much on advice, but my experience is that, generally, my students have come to appreciate the value of this type of learning in combination with in-class teaching. I would encourage you to solicit constant feedback from the students about their experience in order to be able to adapt and improve the approach.

Attachments

Outcomes