Bedford Bits: Ideas for Teaching Developmental Writers

Document created by Leah Rang Employee on Mar 11, 2016Last modified by Elizabeth Uva on Mar 11, 2016
Version 11Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Bedford Bits collects creative ideas for teaching a range of writing topics in a frequently updated blog. A community of teachers—leading scholars, authors, and editors—discuss assignments, activities, and pedagogy on themes like revision, research, grammar and style, multimodal composition, technology, peer review, current events, and much more. Take, use, adapt, and pass the ideas around. Then, come back to the site to comment or share your own suggestion.

Why join Macmillan Community? Click the link to find out why--and how--and start participating in the conversation and sharing your own teaching ideas.

IDEAS FOR TEACHING DEVELOPMENTAL WRITERS

An Assignment Sequence for Basic Writing by Susan Naomi Bernstein

“The assignment sequence focuses on introducing students to two primary concerns in writing for academic growth and development: coping with cognitive dissonance and learning resilience.”

Write? Or Written? by Andrea A. Lunsford

“It seems more important than ever to engage students in grappling with subject agency and of looking for ways to enhance it in their everyday lives.”

Collaboration and Teamwork by Steve Bernhardt

“While I begin the term with an individual writing assignment, with peer review, I then move to a second assignment, where pairs of students work together to produce a single text. Writing with a partner brings process issues into open discussion.”

Converting to a More Visual Syllabus by Traci Gardner

“I am rethinking the [syllabus] and adding more visual cues. I already had lots of headings, bulleted lists, and the like. That’s not enough. Students are still stumbling around, unable to find the information. I decided to try more of an infographic-style, with charts, framed pull-outs, and related images.”

For more useful assignments and teaching advice, browse Bedford Bits posts, or try searching these tags:

developmental writing     accelerated learning    basic writing     integrated reading and writing

2 people found this helpful

Attachments

Outcomes