Video Assignment: The College Experience

Document created by Elizabeth Uva Employee on Aug 3, 2016Last modified by Bethany Gordon on Sep 27, 2016
Version 3Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Video Title: Miami University TV Commercial (60 sec)

Topic(s): The college experience

Search terms: Miami university tv commercial

Time (of video):  1:01

Posted by:  Miami University

Date posted:  September 19, 2011

Video description: College provides countless opportunities and experiences that will help shape and define you.

Question/writing prompt to discuss: From the first time you step on campus, you experience moments that shape and change you. Describe one of these moments from your college experience.

In-class activities: 

1. Who Am I? Objective: Students get the opportunity to reflect on their growth.

Show the first 20 seconds of the video. 

1. Ask students to define themselves by answering the question, “Who am I?” twenty times. After students complete this task, continue with the class. 
  2. At the beginning of the next class meeting, students should complete the same task answering the question, “Who am I?” twenty times.
  3. Ask students to compare the second list to the first, and start a discussion about what did or did not change. Ask students what elements are more or less likely to change from their list.
  4. As a conclusion to this activity, the lists can be collected and revisited the last day of the term.

2. Location, Location, Location Objective: Students get the opportunity to reflect on the meaningful experiences that await them.

Show the video from 0:25 to 0:38. The narrator mentions locations in the classroom, residence halls, overseas, on the field and “under the arch” (this location is specific to Miami University; most schools have their own “under the arch” location). How locations like these affect students will differ. In small groups (three to four students), discuss what we learn and how we change during college because of interactions and experiences in different locations.

Attachments

Outcomes