Video title: The Speech that Made Obama President
Time (of video): 6:13
Posted by: THNKR
Date posted: August 30, 2012
Video description: Great public speakers can motivate their audiences. Watch the speech from the 2004 Democratic National Convention, and listen to experts talk about what made it great.
Question/writing prompt to discuss or paste into discussion board/Video Tools: What made President Obama’s speech so memorable?
A Powerful Speech Objective: Students explore why a speech is motivational.
Discuss the power of this speech. The experts discuss the power of this speech throughout the video and why it was so motivational.
- First, walk students through the political atmosphere in 2004. (The video briefly describes this at 1:31.)
- Show the speech, stopping at various points to discuss with students why it was so effective at uniting a party and, ultimately, getting Obama to the White House:
- 1:31-2:59–“Finding common ground.” How did this portion of the speech pull people together?
- 3:00–4:10–What is it about Obama’s technique that makes this speech so effective?
- 4:10–4:30–What role do Obama’s gestures play in this speech? Why doesn’t he use them as much in the speeches he gives as President?
- 5:22–end–What was the effect of this speech?