Video title: The Power of a Liberal Arts Education
Topic(s): Inclusive curriculum
Search terms: video the power of a liberal arts education
Time (of video): 5:46
Posted by: AICUM Massachusetts
Date posted: January 8, 2014
Video description: A liberal arts education is an inclusive curriculum. Watch as graduates discuss how the value of the broad curriculum they received in college is reflected in their current careers.
Question/writing prompt to discuss or paste into discussion board/Video Tools: Think of the courses you are taking “to fulfill a requirement,” and discuss how these courses will benefit you in a future career.
1. The Value of Liberal Arts Courses Objective: Students begin to think strategically about choosing electives.
Show the video and have students discuss the value of courses outside their major.
- Ask how these courses benefit students in the short- and long-term.
- When taking courses outside their major, students often have some choice. Have students describe strategies to choose these electives wisely to maximize their education.
2. What Do Employers Really Want? Objective: Students get insight into how best to demonstrate that they are what employers want.
Show the video from 2:27 to 3:32, and as a group, discuss the qualities that these CEOs/presidents are looking for in employees.
- Ask students to discuss whether they are developing these qualities and to describe how they are doing this.
- Ask students how they can communicate these assets to potential employers.