Class Activity: Career Plans and Interests Case Study

Document created by Bethany Gordon Employee on Sep 23, 2016Last modified by Bethany Gordon Employee on Sep 28, 2016
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

For as long as he could remember, Andrew had wanted to be a physician. Therefore, when he entered college, he majored in chemistry as preparation for medical school. Although he earned good grades in his science courses, he found that he was bored with science in general. He made an appointment with his adviser and told him of his feelings. His adviser said, “Andrew, I know what you mean. Lots of people go through this stage. However, your grades are so good that I’m going to urge you to continue. Then, when you begin medical school, you can decide whether or not you want to stay there. If you don’t, your education will have prepared you for a number of other careers, so what have you got to lose?” Andrew left the office feeling confused. “If I don’t enjoy something,” he said, “why should I keep on doing it?”

Discussion Questions

1. What's your opinion of the advice the adviser gave Andrew?
  2. Physicians make good money. Is this a strong reason for Andrew to stick to his plans? Explain your answer.
  3. How might a visit to the career center provide Andrew with some insight into his dilemma?
  4. Andrew is getting a solid liberal arts education anyway. What's he really got to lose by staying on track for the present?

Attachments

Outcomes