HE Instructor Knowledge Base URL: http://cmg.screenstepslive.com/s/MacmillanMedia/m/Bedford_WH2_0_IM/l/285192-how-do-i-create-a-new-quiz
How do I create a new quiz?
From your Assignments page
Open the Writer's Help assignment unit where you wish to add a new quiz. In this example, we'll open the Composing an article unit.
From the new assignment page
- Enter Title
- Subtitle (if necessary)
- Instructions for your students
Search for Quiz Questions
Follow these steps to filter the list of questions:
Click in the empty box to choose a filter from the drop-down menu
Click "Apply Filters" when you've made all of your filtering selections
Important Note: If you add too many filters you will limit the number of results.
Simply click the "x" on any filter and click "Apply" again to remove that filter.
View your results in the right pane
Select the question you wish to add to your quiz and click "Add Question"
You can continue adding questions one at a time in this way or you can select multiple questions and click "Add Checked."
When you're done, move to the next step.
Review & Modify
From here you can:
- Create new questions
- Show feedback
- Import questions
- Create question pools
- Edit each question
- Move a question to a different part of the quiz
- Remove a question from the quiz
Create your own questions
Click Create New Question to manually enter various types of questions and add them to your quiz. For more information on writing quiz questions, visit the help article How do I write or edit a quiz question?.
Import Questions allows you to add your own multiple choice questions to the quiz using Respondus format.
This is a useful tool if you have a large number of multiple choice questions you want to add from another document. Just copy and paste the questions into the text box.
Note: Quizzes and/or questions cannot be imported by uploading a file.
Creating a question pool allows you to randomize questions on each student's quiz.
To add questions to a pool, return to the Search for Quiz Questions tab, check the desired questions, and click Add Checked To >>, then select your question pool.
From here you can:
- Edit the number of attempts
- Set a time limit
- Control question delivery
- Allow or disallow students to save and continue their work
- Choose to scramble the order of questions and/or answer choices
- Select your desired option to display quiz answers and feedback
- Show/hide quiz from students
If you make changes, click Save when you're done.
Note: If you set a time limit and tick "Allow save and continue, "the quiz timer will pause when students save their work. When they return, the timer will resume. If your goal is for students to take a quiz in one sitting for a set amount of time, enter the time limit and untick "Allow save and continue."
More information regarding options to display quiz answers and feedback
- Show questions and student answers after: Displays the question text and the student’s answers, but not the correct answers after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
- Show whether answers were right or wrong after: For student answers, displays a check for right answers and an x for wrong answers but does not display the correct answer after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
- Show question score after: Displays how many points the question was worth and how many points the student earned, but does not display the correct answer after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
- Show correct answers after: Displays the correct answer for the question after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
- Show feedback and grader remarks after: If applicable, displays feedback for answer choices and any remarks a grader has made after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
- Show solutions after: If applicable, displays problem solutions after the designated time or never, depending on which option is chosen.
Click "Done Editing"
At this point your quiz has been created. You can assign your quiz from the Table of Contents or the Assignments tab. For more information on how to do this, please see the help article How do I create assignments?.