How do I set objectives for my students' assignments?

Document created by Vishal Sharma on Jan 12, 2017Last modified by Vishal Sharma on Jan 12, 2017
Version 16Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

You can create objectives when you create a new assignment or you can edit the assignment to set your objectives later.

CREATING OBJECTIVES WHEN CREATING A NEW ASSIGNMENT

Create a new assignment

For more information on creating a new assignment, please read "How do I create an assignment?"

User-added image

Click "Objectives" from the assignment feature tab

By selecting your objectives for an assignment, you are choosing the areas to focus your feedback. Objectives are optional for Express Assignments and Stimulus-based Assignments, but are required for WriterKey Assignments.

User-added image

Click each drop down arrow and check the boxes to select up to six objectives

The objectives you choose will be presented to you through the feedback tool to use as you respond to students. Limit your choices to writing features you are reviewing/teaching prior to students submitting the assignment.

Why can you choose no more than six objectives?

Effective coaches understand that students need feedback on their writing that is aligned to the instruction they have received. Yet, too much feedback creates cognitive overload and prevents the feedback from being constructive. WriterKey limits the objectives for feedback to focus both the student and the teacher on the skills that were taught and are being reinforced through feedback.

The objectives are focused on the craft of writing. These objectives target specific qualities of writing teachers commonly teach.

You can also use custom objectives for traits for which objectives are not provided. For more on how to do that, please read, "How do I create/edit custom objectives for my students' assignments?"

User-added image

If you hover the mouse on the indicator on the right side you can view descriptions of the objectives rubric for each objective.

User-added image

Click "Save Objectives" when you're done making your selections

User-added image

You will see that your objectives will populate your assignment sheet.

User-added image

CREATING OBJECTIVES WHEN EDITING AN ASSIGNMENT

Click on the assignment you wish to edit

User-added image

Click "EDIT"

User-added image

Follow the instructions above beginning with How do I set objectives for my students' assignments?

Attachments

Outcomes