Before allowing a student to retake a quiz:
Make sure your quiz settings are not set up to score the quiz based on the student's first attempt. If the First scoring setting for the assignment is selected and you give a student a second chance to complete that assignment, then the student's new score will not report to the gradebook. Instead choose one of the other Scored Attempt options, defined below.
Scored Attempt options:
- Last -- The score that counts will be the students’ final attempt.
- Highest -- The score that counts will be the highest score of all attempts.
- Lowest -- The score that counts will be the lowest score of all attempts.
- Average -- The score that counts will be the average of all attempts.
- Total -- The score that counts is the sum of the scores for all attempts.
For more information on altering quiz settings, please refer to the help article Altering Quiz Settings on a Pre-Built Quiz.
There are two ways to give a student another chance to complete a quiz:
- You can change the number of attempts for the student
- You can click the Retry button next to a student's score in the gradebook
Edit the quiz
To alter the settings for a quiz, from your LaunchPad home page, hover your cursor over the More Options menu and select Edit.
Select the student
At the top of the page there will be a drop-down menu that says Settings for. If this is the first time you are editing a quiz for this individual, click the drop-down arrow and select Add Individual.
If you've already edited the quiz settings for this student in the past, then the student's name will appear in the drop-down list. Choose the student's name and jump to Select Number of Attempts to change the number of attempts.
Enter the student's name
Begin typing the student's name in the window that appears. You will then be able to select the student from the drop-down list and click Add.
Select the student from the drop-down list
The student's name will now appear in the drop-down list.
Now that you've selected your student, you can change the number of attempts by selecting a number from the drop-down next to Number of Attempts.
Click to grade
In the gradebook click on the grade for the student that you want to give another chance. This will bring up the gradebook dialog box for that assignment for that student.