In the Writer's Help 2.0 Gradebook, assignments are not automatically changed to a “zero” score after the due date passes. To ensure the proper total points are being shown to students, you will need to set the scores to zero for unsubmitted assignments.
There are two methods for accomplishing this:
- If you choose this option, your students will automatically receive a zero after the due date passes for any assignment for which they did not submit work.
- This setting is course-wide and cannot be set for individual activities, however, grace period exceptions will be respected.
- You can click this option in your Gradebook Preferences at any time during the semester and it will take effect.
- It may take up to 24 hours after the due date has passed for the zero grade to be recorded.
- You can also, if necessary, give a student additional time to complete an assignment.
- A student will receive a score of zero if they make no submissions to an assigned and gradable activity by the due date.
Click the checkbox next to Zero score for unsubmitted assignments after due date has passed.
From your Gradebook
Once a due date has passed, identify incomplete assignments where you would like to record a score of zero. In the example below, Grammar Diagnostics is past the due date. This assignment has a student that did not complete the assignment on time and should be receiving zero points.
Click on the title of the assignment to open the assignment details window. In this example, the title is Grammar Diagnostic A.
The Zero Score for Unsubmitted button will be in the lower right-hand corner. Click the button to change the scores for any student who did not complete the assignment on time. The blank score will be replaced with a zero.
Note on inconsistent scoring
Please note that unless you zero all assignments you have given, the total points for students will not be the same.
For example, in the Gradebook below, not all of the incomplete assignments have been set to zero. This means that Student A, who completed all the assignments, has a total of 153 possible points, while Student C, who has missed assignments, has a total of 98 possible points. Students will see the total points in their own Gradebooks as they are displayed in the instructor Gradebook below.
The only way to maintain accurate point totals for students who have incomplete assignments is to use the Zero Score for Unsubmitted button to change scores to zero after the due date.