Yes. Instructors may be enrolled as Course Masters or Instructors. See below for definitions of those terms.
For more information on adding instructors please read How can I enroll a user in the course as an instructor or TA?.
What is a "course master?"
A course master enrollment is an enrollment that has full access and editing rights to the course. This includes the following abilities:
- Editing content
- Editing assignment deadlines
- Editing the roster
- Editing assignment scores
- Uploading files
- Viewing students' work on assignments
- Viewing instructor supplements (if provided)
- Adding instructors
- Adding students
In addition, only course masters can view and set the access and editing privileges of instructors.
By default, the creator of a course is a course master.
What is an "instructor?"
An instructor enrollment can have its access and editing privileges set by a course master. The most limited capacity an instructor enrollment can have is the following:
- Has the ability to view an assignment and its answers prior to the start date of the assignment
- Can view the entire class grade book
- Can view but not edit the Global Course Settings page
- Can view but not edit the Manage Roster view
The maximum capacity an instructor enrollment can have is almost that of a course master. The only exception is that an instructor can never view or change the access levels of other instructors.