These instructions are for creating a student submitted video assignment. That means that each student will submit a video for the instructor and peers to review and make comments on. If you want to submit a video for students to review, see the help article How do I create an instructor submitted Video Assignment?.
Create a new assignment
In LaunchPad, click + Add New from the home page to add a new assignment. In Writer's Help 2.0, follow the instructions in the help article How do I create assignments?
Do not add a video
Depending on your LaunchPad, you may be prompted to add a video before you see the Basic Info tab in the step below. It is not necessary for you to add a video to a student submitted video assignment.
To see the Basic Info tab and other settings tabs, click the Edit button within the video assignment, or find the assignment in the table of contents and click More Options, then Edit.
Click the Basic Info tab
You can add a Title, Subtitle and Directions here. Remember to click "Save" when you're done.
Note: If you are requiring to students to comment on or score each other's videos, it is advisable to include a due date for uploading videos in the Directions. This way students will have time before the assignment due date to complete the scoring portion of the assignment.
Click the Assignment tabNote: If you do not see the assignment tab, hover your mouse over the item in the table of contents and select Assign or More Options, then Assign.
- Select a due date;
- Assign a point value;
- Select an assignment category; and
- Choose a calculation type.
For more information on creating an assignment, please review the help article How do I create assignments?.
Remember to click "Assign" when you're done.
Choose Visibility status
- Choose "Visible to students" to make the assignment visible;
- Choose "Hide from students" to hide the assignment. You can go back later and manually change this to "Visible" when you're ready for your students to see the assignment;
- Choose "Hide from students until date" to bring up a calendar so you can select a date upon which your students will be able to see the assignment. They will not see it before this date.
Choose Assignment Type
- Choose "Private" if you want student submissions to go only to you;
- Choose "Shared" if you want student submissions to go to both instructors and peers.
Selecting "Students" here means each of your students will submit a video for review by just you or by everyone in the class including you.
For more information on creating instructor submitted Video Assignments, please review the help article How do I complete an instructor submitted video assignment?.
For student-uploaded videos choose whether or not:
- To use peer review groups. For more information on managing peer review groups, please refer to the help article How to Create a Group of Students.
- To require students to add comments to peers' videos;
- To require students to add comments to their own videos;
- To use a rubric. "Use Rubric" enables you to add or edit a rubric. For more information on creating rubrics, please refer to the help article How do I add a rubric to a Video Assignment?. You will also be able to choose if students use a rubric to score their peers' videos, to score their own videos or to score both.
- Note about rubrics: You must "Save" your settings before clicking "Add or edit rubric" so it makes sense to wait to add your rubric until you're done finalizing your other settings.
- Note about comments: You can set a minimum number of comments that students must submit before their assignment will be considered complete. Students can submit MORE than the minimum if they wish. Students can also leave comments even if the "add comments" box isn’t checked.