We highly recommend you review Homework Assignment Requirements and Best Practices before beginning to create Homework Assignments.
Time limit, number of attempts, and review settings can be set in three ways:
- In this article you will learn how to edit these settings for an entire Homework activity. We recommend that you first follow the instructions in this help article to set a general base value for all the questions in your assessment, then change each individual question setting at the question level as necessary.
- For information on how to edit questions settings on a question-by-question basis, please read the help article How do I apply question-by-question settings for a Homework activity?.
- For more information on how to edit question settings for a group of questions, please read the help article How do I apply settings for a group of questions in a Homework activity?.
Note: The steps in this article will help you edit question settings, not the question itself. For help editing a question please view the help article How do I edit a Homework activity question?.
Warning: Edits to the questions or question settings in a Homework activity cannot be made after a student has submitted an attempt.
- Moore, Introduction to the Practice of Statistics, 9e
- Moore, Statistics: Concepts and Controversies, 9e
- Sowder, Reconceptualizing Mathematics, 3e
Once a student has submitted an attempt in a Homework assignment, you will be unable to make edits to questions and question settings for that assignment. This includes when you take the Homework assignment as a student in View as Student mode. For this reason, we are recommending a three-course approach as outlined in the help article How can I review Homework activities as a student?. If you need a question edited after the assignment has been locked, contact tech support with the details, and the edit will be made for you.
You can also access Settings from the Instructor view page by clicking the Edit button in the upper right-hand corner.
Apply settings for the entire assessment
The settings indicated with an arrow below can be applied on a question-by-question basis, but we recommend that you first set a general base value here for all the questions in your assessment and then change each individual question setting at the question level as necessary.
Each of the settings listed below can be modified for the entire activity or on a question-by-question basis.
- The number of attempts per question
- Which attempt submitted by student will report to gradebook as part of final score
- Time limit to answer each question*
- Feedback review settings: when responses, feedback, and correct answers appear to students after s/he has submitted an answer
*Note: if you set a time limit and select Allow save and continue, the quiz timer will pause when students save their work. When they return, the timer will resume.
The following settings can only be applied to an entire activity:
- Allowing students to save and continue work
- Allowing randomization of answer options ordering within questions
Note: For each activity, you can apply these settings to the entire class, an individual, or a specific group of students. For more information on how to do this, see the help articles How to change Assignment Settings for a Single Student and How to Change Assignment Settings for a Specific Group of Students.