LaunchPad > How do I use the welcome page?

Document created by Digital Support on Jan 25, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on Jul 24, 2017
Version 9Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

How do I get to the welcome page?

To get to the Welcome Page from your home page, click the Welcome Page button in the left-hand navigation menu.

What can I do with it?

The course Welcome Page features the following:

1. An area for instructors to post announcements for all students to see
  2. RSS feed articles from Scientific American, The Economist, or any other feed of your choice
  3. A list of upcoming assignments organized by those due today, this week, and next week
  4. Access to the course calendar

How can I change the Welcome Page?

To make edits to the Welcome Page, click the Edit Page button on the top left while viewing the Welcome Page.

Add or change announcements

Hover your cursor over the announcements area and click to open the Welcome Message html editor. Click Save when you're done.

Remove widgets

To remove a widget from the Welcome Page, click Remove in the top-right corner of the widget.

Add new widgets

To add a widget to the Welcome Page, click the + ADD NEW WIDGET button, and choose the type of widget you’d like to add.

New widgets: RSS Feed

One new feature that can be added is a Custom RSS Feed. RSS feeds are real time feeds provided by a variety of news services. You can find some example RSS feeds at the APA website. Copy and paste the URL of the feed into the box, provide a name for the feed, and click Add when you're done.

Exit the Welcome Page editor

When you're finished making changes, exit the editor by clicking Done editing at the top right of the page.

How can I use the Welcome Page to keep my course current?

1. Update your announcements daily to give students a reason to log in regularly.
  2. Assign articles from one or more RSS feeds to incorporate topical resources into your course.

How to assign an RSS feed article

1. From the RSS feed widget, click on the title of an article you'd like to assign.
  2. Click Add to Course in the top-right corner of the screen.
  3. Assign the article from the table of contents, as you would any other resource.

Attachments

Outcomes