LaunchPad contains resources for you and your students. In this tutorial, we'll take a detailed look at both types separately. Let's begin with student resources. Click the following links to go to the landing page of LaunchPad for World Regional Geography with Subregions and World Regional Geography without Subregions.
From your LaunchPad home page, click Resources, then Content by Type. You'll see a list of all the resources available to your students. We'll now take a closer look at each.
What resources are available for my students?
Chapter QuizzesChapter quizzes are short exams at the end of each chapter that address content in the chapter in two ways. One quiz is twenty multiple-choice questions and addresses key concepts from the chapter. The other quiz is a shorter ten question multiple-choice quiz dealing specifically with the “sub-regions” section in each chapter.
e-BookThe e-Book is a completely electronic version of the textbook available online, which comes with note-taking and annotating functions, so students can make notes as they read their textbook in its digital format.
FlashcardsFlashcards are study tools for students to use to quiz themselves on key terms from each chapter.
Focus on Geography ArticlesIn each chapter of the textbook an article from the American Geographical Society’s magazine, Focus on Geography, is provided in full for reinforcement of chapter concepts.
Focus on Geography QuizzesIn addition to a complete article from the Focus on Geography magazine, a short multiple-choice quiz about the article is included but optional.
Geographic Weblinks and Resources
Geographic Weblinks and Resources includes Geographic Weblinks, Selected Readings, World Recipes, Professional Links, and Professional Listservs.
- Geographic Weblinks are organized by chapter and offer a variety of destinations online with relevant information, insight, or analysis about world regions being studied.
- Selected Readings are additional readings for students to use as they work on term papers, group projects, or other assignments.
- World Recipes are a collection of recipes from the U.N. Cookbook and can be used as part of “international food day” in a world regional geography class.
- Professional Links are weblinks that are of interest to geographers.
- Professional Listservs is a list of listservs of interest to geographers.
Google Earth ExercisesEach chapter contains exercises with multi-choice quizzing and step-by-step instructions for working within the Google Earth software for students to study each world region.
Google Earth GuideThis guide is a step-by-step introduction to using Google Earth. Written by Bradley Shellito of Youngstown State University, this guide provides an excellent introduction to the technology and acts as a great reference for students as they learn to use the software.
How to Use Map BuilderThis document is a how-to reference guide for students to use as they use the Map Builder program that is exclusive to W.H. Freeman & Co. A brief overview of features and step-by-step instructions are provided so students can easily start using the Map Builder program.
LearningCurveLearningCurve is a formative and adaptive quizzing program that helps students to identify their strengths and weaknesses with course material. This program is ideal for students in a flipped classroom environment.
Map Activities and Resources
Map Activities and Resources contains Blank Outline Maps in color and in black and white, Interactive Maps, and Population Analysis Exercises.
- Blank Outline Maps are PDF files of each world region, displaying country borders and physical features.
- Interactive Maps are Flash-based “drag and drop” exercises that allow students to test their knowledge about a place. For each region students can quiz themselves about country names, city locations, physical features, and much more.
- Population Analysis Exercises are based on maps from the textbook and provide open-ended questions.
Map Builder ExercisesMap Builder Exercises are region-specific exercises within the Map Builder program, the powerful thematic map-building program exclusive to W.H. Freeman & Co.
Online Mapping QuizzesOnline Mapping Quizzes are web-based mapping exercises that are intended to test a student’s knowledge of country names, city names, and physical features within world regions. These quizzes can be assigned as homework and grades will report directly to the instructor’s gradebook.
Study GuideThis is a complete study guide for the textbook and is downloadable for students who prefer to work with hard copy study materials.
Thinking Critically about GeographyThese are web-based exercises that ask students to visit a variety of websites to help them think about key questions facing geographers today related to topics such as globalization, water and food, and war.
Thinking Geographically QuestionsIncluded with the textbook’s many photo essays are the Thinking Geographically questions, which are multiple-choice questions that can be assigned as either quizzes or homework.
Video Activities include Physical Geography Videos and Quizzes, Voices of America Videos and Quizzes, and World Regional Geography Video Anthology and Quizzes.
- Physical Geography Videos and Quizzes are intended to reinforce information about physical geography and provide additional instruction.
- Voices of America Videos and Quizzes are a series of relevant online videos pertaining to topics within the textbook. Video icons throughout the textbook refer students to the series. Each video also offers a short quiz. More than 300 videos are available to students.
- World Regional Geography Video Anthology contains videos, which are organized by chapter, and come as a two-DVD set of projection quality. They are also available in LaunchPad and come with quizzes for each video.
Vocabulary includes a Place Name Pronunciation Guide and a Graphic Glossary with Pronunciations.
- Place Name Pronunciation Guide lists all places from the textbook and includes audio files so students can hear the proper pronunciation of each place’s name.
- Graphic Glossary with Pronunciations contains all key terms from the textbook (which are boldface in the text) with definitions and the pronunciation break-down.