The best way to integrate your Canvas course with a Writer's Help 2.0 course is to set up Writer's Help 2.0 first. Below is a list of tasks, each of which links to a how-to article from our Writer's Help 2.0 instructor's manual or Canvas Deep Integration for Writer's Help 2.0: Student's Manual.
- If you haven't already been sampled access to your Writer's Help 2.0 title, request access to it.
- Log in to your Writer's Help 2.0 title, create a course, and input identifying information.
- Important note: Do not prompt students to enter their LMS ID. Doing so will conflict with your Canvas and Writer's Help 2.0 deep integration and cause technical issues.
- Familiarize yourself with the content. Peruse the tour of student and instructor resources for your title, Writer's Help 2.0, Hacker Version or Writer's Help 2.0, Lunsford Version. Make a list of items that you'll want to assign for a grade vs. items you want students to read or walk-through that won't be for a grade.
- For items that will report to your Canvas gradebook, assign them in Writer's Help 2.0, create assignment units, select due dates, and set point values.
- For items that won't report to your Canvas gradebook, you'll be able to import them into your Canvas course without assigning them in Writer's Help 2.0.
- When you've completed your Writer's Help 2.0 course set up, activate your Writer's Help 2.0 course.
- After activating, you'll see auto-generated student registration instructions and will be prompted to distribute them to students. PLEASE IGNORE THESE INSTRUCTIONS! They were designed for students who are not accessing Writer's Help 2.0 within Canvas. Instead, direct students to this instructional video or other articles in our student guide for Canvas.
- Please also tell your students that they will be following special instructions to prepare to use Writer's Help 2.0 inside Canvas. Thus, if students bought a textbook packaged with a Writer's Help 2.0 access card or a standalone access card from the bookstore, they should ignore the standard registration instructions included there and log in through Canvas instead. If students mistakenly register through Writer's Help 2.0, they should consult the help article I purchased a package with a LaunchPad/Writer's Help 2.0 access card in the bookstore and have already registered the code on the card. What should I do now?.
When you're done, log in to Canvas, pair your Canvas course with your Writer's Help 2.0 course, and import the Writer's Help 2.0 assignments you've already created, as well as any other resources you want students to read or walk-through but that you don't wish to grade. Read on in this manual to find out more about bringing Writer's Help 2.0 content into Canvas.