You can configure the Sapling Learning gradebook to automatically drop each student’s lowest score (or lowest 2, 3, etc. scores) from their overall average.
- From your main course page, click Grades.
- Click the Categories and Items tab at the top.
- Click Full View.
- In the pink bar, type a number into either the “Drop the lowest” or “Keep the highest” field. If you type a number for both fields, the system will use only your “Drop the lowest” entry and reset your “Keep the highest” entry to 0 (ignored) upon save.
- Scroll to the button and click Save changes, or, if your cursor is still in the the field you just typed in, you can hit Enter on your keyboard to save.
Optional: Rename the Category total
The number of dropped/kept assignments is not displayed to students anywhere. If you’d like, you can edit the label for the overall average, which will show for both you and the students.
- Under Grades > Categories and Items, click the pencil icon in the pink bar.
- Type in the field for “Category total name” (you may need to click Show Advanced first). For example, you might want to call it “HW avg (lowest 2 dropped)”.