Grades can be imported into and exported out of Sapling Learning. We recommend that you export grades at least once before attempting an import, to set up the file you will use for importing.
- Click the Export tab at the top of the gradebook.
- Select one of the export filetypes at the top (OpenDocument spreadsheet, Plain text file, Excel spreadsheet, or XML file). You most likely want either a Plain text file (.txt which can be changed to .csv) or an Excel spreadsheet.
- You will be given the option to choose what fields to export. For basic usage, select all fields and click Submit. You will be prompted to save the file.
You can import the plain text file (.txt) into any program that accepts csv files, such as Excel. Tip: Change the filename to end in .csv in Windows so that Excel will recognize the file as a comma-separated list.
- To import grades, begin with an exported copy of your gradebook, or the participants page, or any spreadsheet that contains a unique identifier for your students (Sapling email, Sapling userID, or studentID if that info is filled in for each student in Sapling).
- Add a column to your spreadsheet for each activity you'd like to import grades for, and enter the score for each student in the same row as their identifier.
- Save the file as a comma-separated list (csv).
- Choose the Import tab at the top of the gradebook.
- Click Choose File and select your csv file.
- Leave everything else as-is and click Upload Grades.
- In the Identify user by block, choose which column from your file should match up with the unique identifier in Sapling (useremail, userid, or useridnumber*).
- Scroll down to the Grade item mappings block, which shows you a list of all the column headers from your file. For any new gradebook column you wish to add, choose new gradeitem**. For any existing gradebook column that you wish to overwrite, choose the name of that gradebook column in Sapling. For everything else, leave as ignore.
- Scroll to the bottom and click Upload grades.
*In the map to dropdown, userid refers to the student's Sapling id (an arbitrary number generated by Sapling), whereas useridnumber is an optional field in Sapling that may be used to store your school's student ID for that student. If you have not already asked your Client Success Specialist or your students to include their student IDs, then you cannot use useridnumber as the identifier for grade import.
**If you choose new gradeitem for a particular set of scores from your file, those scores cannot be greater than 100. If you wish for an item to have a max score above 100, you'll need to add the grade item first (see below), set the max points to be >100, then map the scores to that existing grade item during import.
Add new grade item
Here's how to make a new blank column in your gradebook without importing from a file.
- Click Grades on the left side of your course.
- Click Categories and items at the top of the gradebook.
- Click Add grade item at the bottom of that page.
- Enter the item name (which will appear as the column header) and the maximum grade (the number of points each score is out of).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Save changes.
For more information and a video about grade items, see the help article Grades for External Activities.