For assignments that have a due date, you can enable late submissions and configure a deduction per day late.
How to allow late submissions with a penalty
- Click on the assignment to open the activity editor. If the assignment doesn't exist, you'll first need to create it.
- In the settings panel, click the Edit Settings button . If you don't see this option, you may need to click the book icon to collapse the library.
- Set or verify the Due Date of the assignment.
- Once a due date is set, you'll be able to click the checkbox for Allow late Submissions.
- Choose the desired percentage to deduct from any additional points earned from late answers.
- Choose the desired end date for late submissions. The system will auto-fill the date after which students can no longer earn points for their answers, but you are free to change it. If you choose a date that is later than the suggestion, students can continue answering for no points. A student's score cannot decrease over time or with continued attempts.
- If late submissions are allowed and the main due date has passed, you cannot change the due date or the deduction.
- Granting an extension is permitted, but will NOT re-grade attempts that a student already made with the penalty.
- If you need to change the due date and are willing to accept the consequences of the fact that it won't re-grade, you can give the whole class an extension.
- If you often change due dates and/or grant extensions in your class, we do not recommend using this option. Instead, we recommend using this option as a substitute for granting individual extensions.
- If a student has made attempts after the due date, the Attempts column of their assignment will show two values. For example, 3/2 in the Attempts column means that the student made three total attempts on that question, two of which were after the due date.
- The resources panel on the right side of the assignment will indicate to the student whether late submissions are allowed, and what the penalty is per day late.
- After the due date has passed, the student will also be notified on the main course page if late submissions are allowed.
- A timed assignment will not have the option to turn on late penalty, and vice versa.