The Symbolic Equation Module supports a wide range of mathematical symbols and functions. It can be used for static display or graded entry.
When in graded mode:
- The system uses standard order of operations and recognizes alternative forms of mathematical expressions.
- It cannot evaluate an expression with an equals sign.
- The equation editor can evaluate up to 4 variables; it is not advised to have more than 4 variables required for a graded entry.
- This module uses text auto-fill for trigonometric functions to ensure that variant forms are graded correctly. This feature can be turned off in static mode under Options > Auto-Convert.
For those of you familiar with LaTex, you can enter LaTex mode in the Equation module by typing backslash (\).
- Grab. Select to move contents of module within entry field. Select the tool and then click on the equation and hold while moving the mouse.
- Subscript. Highlight text and click to subscript text or click to open the subscript editing area (Shortcut: press "shift" and "-" at the same time). Note: this editor provides a special feature that allows for multi-level subscripting. To escape subscript mode, use the right keyboard arrow, or click on the main line.
- Superscript. Highlight the text and click to superscript it or click to open superscript editing area (Shortcut: press "shift" and "6" at the same time). Note: this editor provides a special feature that allows for multi-level superscripting. To escape superscript mode, use the right keyboard arrow or click on the main line.
- Greek alphabet menus. Click to open the menu of Greek letters, which can then be inserted at the cursor. Both upper and lower case are available.
- Special character menu. Click to open the menu of special characters and mathematical symbols, such as degrees and plus and minus signs. (Shortcut: press "shift" and "8" for multiplication symbol.)
- Roots, fractions, and grouping. Click to open the menu with common mathematical functions for roots, stacked fractions, and grouping characters.
- Trigonometric functions menu. Click to open the menu with common trigonometric functions.
- Functions menu. Contains sum, limit, log, pipe, natural log (ln), and natural base (e).
- Vector menu. Contains average (overbar), vectors (overarrow), and vector components (overhat).
- Bold. Highlight and click to make text bold.
- Italic. Highlight and click to make text italic.
- Create algo. Highlight text or number(s) and click to make algorithmic variables.
- Insert-algo menu. Click green arrow to view and select available algorithmic variables from drop-down menu.
- Grading status. Changes the module between static, graded, and interactive.
- Revert. Removes changes made to the module in current tab.
- Delete. Removes this module.