WriterKey > How do I create an assignment?

Document created by Digital Support on Jan 25, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on Nov 20, 2017
Version 10Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Click "Add New" and select "Assignment"

Give your assignment a title

Click on the image to zoom in.

Select the type of assignment

• Express Assignments are for quick writing assignments for which students will not be revising their writing, receiving feedback on specific instructional objectives, or reflecting in depth about their progress. Use an express assignment when you want students to pre-think on a topic, write informally, or share an idea where the focus is not on improving writing.
  • Use Stimulus-based Response when students are expected to read (and, optionally, annotate) one or more passages and respond to a prompt. This selection has defaults set for efficiently designing these types of assignments. You may customize settings, including selecting instructional objectives, once you have completed the fields on the first screen.
  • WriterKey assignments give teachers the most sophistication and flexibility to create meaningful writing assignments. Multiple drafts, writer's workshops, and assignment supports are all options that can be selected to improve the teaching and learning of writing. Teachers must select instructional objectives for all WriterKey assignments; these objectives define the instructional feedback options.

Choose a "Rhetorical Genre"

• Argument/analysis: Write arguments to support claims in an analysis of substantive topics or texts, using valid reasoning and relevant and sufficient evidence.

• Informative/explanatory: Write informative/explanatory texts to examine and convey complex ideas, concepts, and information clearly and accurately through the effective selection, organization, and analysis of content.

• Narratives: Write narratives to develop real or imagined experiences or events using effective technique, well-chosen details, and well-structured event sequences.

Add a Description / Prompt

Choose whether or not to make the assignment a "Library Assignment"

• In most cases you will accept the default, which is NO.
  • Library Assignments are shared assignments made available to anyone in your school selected from a list. The list of available schools is visible once this toggle switch is turned to YES.
  • Certain settings such as the genre, rubric, selected objectives, and reflections are not changeable by other teachers who import the assignment. Most commonly, teachers and schools use library assignments for "benchmark" assessments and curriculum monitoring.

Choose the "Class" and "Due Date"

You can choose more than one class for an assignment if you wish.

Click "Save" to go to the Assignment Builder

Complete your assignment on the Assignment Sheet page

Note: An orange exclamation mark indicates that you must fill out that field.

1. Click Edit to edit the Title, Genre, or Grade Level.
  2. A green check mark means that you have completed filling out that portion of the assignment. You can click the check mark, however, to edit that option.
  3. If this is your first assignment, you will have to fill in your grading options and rubric. These will become your default, although you can change them for each assignment if you wish. For more information on selecting grading options, please read the help article How do I select grading ("Grade With") settings for an assignment?
  4. Click Objectives to add objectives for your students. To learn more about Objectives please read the help article How do I set objectives for my students' assignments?.
  5. Click on Texts to provide required texts for the assignment.
  6. If you want to add a Resource, such as an assignment sheet or model, click Resources.

For more information on how to add Texts and/or Resources, please read the help article How can I share resources like model documents, detailed assignment instructions, and required readings with my students?.

Click the toggle for "Assign to Students" if you want to activate the assignment immediately

Click "Done, return to Dashboard"

Activate your assignment

If you haven't already activated your assignment you can do it from the Dashboard by clicking Activate this assignment? below the assignment.

Attachments

Outcomes