Video title: Rock The Vote Presents: #TURNOUTFORWHAT
Topic(s): Voting, youth voting
Search terms: video #turnoutforwhat
Time (of video): 3:27
Posted by: rockthevote
Date posted: October 7, 2014
Video description: Rock the Vote is a non-profit organization whose mission is to engage young people in politics. #turnoutforwhat is a new campaign to encourage voters to turn out to vote for what they believe in.
Question/writing prompt: Why would you vote? Finish the tweet: #turnoutforwhat
Civic Awareness Objective: Students research relevant political issues.
Most students know when major elections are happening in their state, but are they aware of local elections?
- Have students do research on upcoming elections and hot issues in the community in which they are registered to vote (assuming they are registered--if they are not registered, use this opportunity to encourage all students to register).
- Students should bring their findings to class.
- As a class, examine the issues on general election ballots vs. local elections.
Rock the Vote Objective: Students learn why young voters are so valuable to politicians.
Have students research the history of the Rock the Vote campaign in order to answer the following questions:
- Why did Rock the Vote form?
- Who is the target audience for Rock the Vote?
- What impact has Rock the Vote had on mobilizing young people to vote?