FAQ: Using iClicker Classic

Document created by Digital Support on May 19, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on Jul 7, 2017
Version 9Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

Please view a list of our frequently asked questions below. Have a question that's not listed? Please contact support at support@iclicker.com and we will answer your question and maybe even post it here!

Connect Your Base and Download iClicker Classic
Check for Updates
Create a Course
Manage iClicker Classic Course Settings
Create and Add Your Roster
Poll Students in iClicker Classic
Resume an iClicker Classic Session
View iClicker Classic Polling Results
Use and Change the Frequency of an Instructor Remote
Students with Multiple Registered Remotes
How do I use iClicker with both a PC and a Mac?
Can students register their clickers from within my learning management system (LMS)?
Some of my students have used multiple remotes. Are they cheating?
I found a clicker. Who does it belong to?
Why does my presenter remote occasionally stop controlling the presentation?
How does a student change the frequency code on a student clicker?
How do I temporarily loan a clicker to a student?
How do I permanently loan a clicker to a student?
My class is finished for the term and I will be teaching a new course next term. How can I start over?
Can I request a new battery cover case?

How do I use iClicker with both a PC and a Mac?

1. Start by putting a copy of the iClicker software for both PC and Mac in the same folder

2. Rename the iClicker Win folder to iclicker WinMac

3. Using a Mac, copy the iClicker application from the iClicker Mac folder to the iclicker WinMac folder you just created

4. If you're using iClicker Integrate (i.e., students register directly within the LMS), you also need to copy config.xml and LMS_Wizard.xml

Note: If you do not have LMS_Wizard.xml, Integrate is not in place.

Going forward, always use the WinMac folder.

Both applications will access the same data from your Classes folder.

Return to top.

Can students register their clickers from within my learning management system (LMS)?

iClicker integrate enables your students to register from within the campus LMS. This solution requires some setup from your LMS/IT administrator. You can find more information on iClicker integrate in the Support area of our website at www.iclicker.com.

Return to top.

Some of my students have used multiple remotes. Are they cheating

Occasionally, students will register and use more than one clicker during the course of a semester. This typically happens because they have lost their clicker and registered the replacement. The gradebook will give the student credit for responses from either of the clickers registered; however, a student can never receive "double points," even if they were to use both clickers in the same session.

Return to top.

I found a clicker. Who does it belong to?

If you're the instructor in a course, or you know who the instructor is, you can easily find who a clicker belongs to by going to the iclicker win/mac > classes > yourClass > SessionData > RemoteID.csv file. RemoteID.csv contains a list of all of the registered remotes in the class with the corresponding student IDs.

To protect student privacy, we cannot provide you with information from our registration database.

Return to top.

Why does my presenter remote occasionally stop controlling the presentation?

The most common cause of this issue is the presentation software (e.g., PowerPoint, Keynote) going "out of focus." When this happens, your operating system doesn't know which application you're trying to interact with, causing your instructor remote to be ignored.

The best preventative measure is to consistently use either the instructor remote or the mouse: don't alternate between the two if possible.

For PC users

To correct this issue on PC, use your mouse to click the presentation window; alternatively, you can use ctrl+tab to select your presentation software as the active application.

TIP: On a PC, you'll always know when your presentation has gone out of focus because the start menu will appear below your presentation.

For Mac users

To correct this issue on Mac, use your mouse to click the presentation window; alternatively, you can use control+tab to select your presentation software as the active application.

Return to top.

How does a student change the frequency code on a student clicker?

If you change the base station frequency from AA, instruct your students how to change the frequency on their clickers.

The instructions vary depending on the clickers. Provide the necessary instructions to your students.

NOTE: The receiver must be plugged in and a session must be started before students can change the clicker frequency. 

Provide these steps to students with iClicker and iClicker + devices.

Students with these devices must change their remote frequency at the beginning of each session. When you begin polling, an alert appears indicating the frequency.

1. Press and hold the On/Off button until the Power indicator light begins flashing.

2. Enter the 2-character frequency code using the buttons (A B C D) on the clicker.

Provide students with the frequency code (e.g., BB). Once a student successfully enters the code on a clicker, the Power light stops flashing.

Instruct students with iClicker 2 devices to follow these steps.

The iClicker 2 remote remembers the last saved frequency. If your students change the frequency in your class and do not later change frequencies again, the iClicker 2 device remembers the frequency from your class. The frequency briefly appears on the LCD screen when a student powers on a device.

1. Press and hold the On/Off button until the LCD screen shows a flashing frequency code.

2. Enter the 2-character frequency code using the buttons (A B C D) on the clicker.

A checkmark briefly appears on the remote LCD indicating that you have successfully reset the frequency code.

Click on the image below to play the video.

Return to top.

How do I temporarily loan a clicker to a student?

You can temporarily assign a remote to a student for a single polling session. This is a useful feature for lending a student your extra remote when they forget to bring their own remote to class.

IMPORTANT: The option to temporarily loan a clicker is only enabled during an active polling session.

1. Select a course and start a new session.

2. Choose Loan Clicker from the Options menu on the toolbar.

3. Enter the remote ID and select the student from the pop-up menu.

TIP: Rather than entering the remote ID, the student can transmit the remote ID. This feature is useful for avoiding remote ID entry errors or when a remote ID is illegible. This option is only enabled after a session is started and is indicated by an active Transmit icon next to the Remote IDentry field.

4. Set the duration to temporary.

5. Save the assignment.

Return to top.

How do I permanently loan a clicker to a student?

The Loan Clicker feature may be used to permanently assign a clicker to a student for the entire term. This option manually registers a single student at a time. This process is useful to register the occasional late addition to your course or for a student who buys a new remote partway through the term.

It is also possible to temporarily assign a clicker to a student for a single session.

Follow the steps below to permanently loan a clicker to a student.

1. Select a course on the iClicker home screen.

2. Choose Loan Clicker from the Course menu.

TIP: You can also permanently loan a clicker during a session by choosing Loan Clicker from the Options menu on the session toolbar.

3. Enter the 8-character ID located on the student's clicker.

The remote ID field is not case-sensitive.

TIP: The Loan Clicker window can be used to capture a transmitted remote ID. This feature is useful for avoiding remote ID entry errors or when a remote ID is illegible. This option is only enabled after a session is started and is indicated by an active Transmit icon next to the Remote ID entry field.

4. Select the student from the pop-up menu.

The student names in the list are pulled from your roster. You must prepare a roster before choosing to loan a clicker to a student.

5. Verify that the duration is set to permanent.

6. Save the clicker assignment.

Return to top.

My class is finished for the term and I will be teaching a new course next term. How can I start over?

The best way to start over with iClicker is to download a new copy of the software from www.iclicker.com. This will ensure you have the latest version of our software. Be sure to archive your old course folder for your records.

Return to top.

Can I request a new battery cover case?

Yes. Please contact support at support@iclicker.com and they will process your request. The cost to replace a battery cover case is $0.99.

Return to top.

Attachments

Outcomes