IMPORTANT: DO NOT use the following instructions for registering students if your students register with a Learning Management System or LMS (e.g., Blackboard).
iClicker offers you three straightforward registration options: a web option that can be done outside of class, an in-class option for your entire class, and a manual option for individual students. Minimal information is required of your students and all registration options are tied to your class roster.
TIP: In-class and online registration are not mutually exclusive. Both can be used to register students in one class.
Option 1: Web registration
Online registration is recommended, especially for classes of fifty students or more. Send your students to the remote registration page to register their remotes.
TIP: The key to successful web registration is deciding what student ID will be used and sharing those directions with students before they register their clickers online. Consider including instructions in your syllabus that describe and/or give examples of the student ID so your students follow the proper registration protocol. There are sample syllabus instructions on iclicker.com in the Support area under User Guides.
To complete the student registration form, students must:
- Enter their first name and last name in the appropriate fields.
- Enter their student ID. This student ID must match the one that is in your Roster.txt file or your CMS roster file.
- Enter their iClicker remote ID. The remote ID is the 8-character alphanumeric code printed below the barcode on the back of their remote.
- Enter the letters or numbers in the captcha security image on the screen. This verification image is a slightly distorted series of characters used to prevent spam bots from submitting the form.
- Click the Enter button. An on-screen message confirms that registration was successful.
The student’s ID is now tied to their unique iClicker remote ID. After your students have registered online, you need to synchronize Gradebook to update the information in your class folder (see synchronizing Web Registrations).
NOTE: If a student has not voted with their iClicker remote in your class, the online registration will not synchronize with your Gradebook application. The student must vote at least once in your class. We recommend that you ask at least one clicker question, such as an attendance or ice-breaker question, on the first day of class in order to capture remote IDs before requiring your students to register.
TIP: Students can use a single iClicker remote for multiple classes and only need to register on the web once. If a student makes a registration mistake they can simply register a second time.
Option 2: Roll-call registration
This registration option is only recommended for small classes with fewer than 50 students. The two registration options (Web and Roll Call) can also be used in combination.
To use Roll Call Registration:
- From the iClicker Home Page, click the Start Session button to start a session.
- The iClicker Session Toolbar appears. Click the Options button.
- Select the Roll Call Registration menu option. The roll call window appears.
- Instruct students to press the letters on their iClicker remotes that correspond to the letters in the columns to the right of their names in the Register Now window. The letters must be pressed in left to right sequence.
- When a remote is registered, the remote ID appears next to the students name/ID (e.g., Song, Patrick, 90B, #1A081909B).
- When registration is complete, click Close to end the registration.
The registration window will continue cycling through the student names until all registrations are complete or you decide to close the registration window. You can control the speed at which your students’ names appear by changing the number in the Allow seconds for viewing option in the bottom right corner. You can also change the student information that displays on screen in the My Settings, CMS/Registration tab. (You must close the Roll Call Registration window before changing the student information.)
NOTE: The student list will change to green and yellow five seconds before students names disappear. This gives students warning that a new batch of names is about to be displayed. It is best for students to wait until their names appear again rather than try to register when the screen is green and yellow.
TIP: Students that accidentally register their clicker to the wrong name should press DD to clear the incorrect registration and restart their registration process.
Option 3: Individual student registration
If only a few students need to register, an individual registration option is available. This registration process is typically used when new students join your class after you’ve already completed Roll Call Registration. Because this option is limited to registering a single student at a time, it is not recommended for registering a large number of students.
To register an individual remote:
- From the iClicker Home Page, click the Loan Clicker button or start a session and click the Options button on the toolbar and then the Loan Clicker menu option.
- The Loan Clicker window appears.
- Enter the student's remote ID, select the student name from the Student: dropdown menu, and select The Term (Permanent) from the Register for: drop-down menu.
- Click Save to assign the remote ID to the selected student. This registration process assigns the remote to the student for the duration of the course.
NOTE: If you wish to loan a clicker to a student for one session only, start the session and access the Loan Clickers option for the Options button on the toolbar. Select One Session (Loan) from the Register for: drop-down menu.
Managing unregistered clicker and student data
Gradebook contains tools that allow you to search and delete batches of unregistered clicker records and generate reports of unregistered students. To access these tools, click the Unregistered Students & Remotes icon.
The View and Select Unregistered iClicker(s) to be deleted window appears. You will have the option to toggle between two screens: Unregistered iClicker(s) and Unregistered student(s).
The Unregistered iClicker(s) tab details votes from clickers that have not been registered to any student in your roster. You may see votes from unregistered clickers if students have not yet registered successfully, if students accidentally brought a friend or roommate's iClicker remote to class with them, or if students voted in only a few sessions and then dropped the class.
The Unregistered Student(s) tab allows you to compile a list of students who have not yet registered. From this screen, you have the option to export the list of unregistered students in two formats: comma-separated (.csv) or text (.txt). Choosing either of these options will create a file named Unregistered Student List in your course folder.
Editing a Student Registration in Gradebook
This feature allows you to modify which remote IDs are associated with a particular student ID.
To modify the student remote ID:
- Double-click the student ID or name on the Gradebook Home Page. The Student Details window appears.
- To remove the association of a particular clicker to that student, select a remote ID from the
- Registered Clickers list, then click on the Remove button.
- To associate a new remote ID, click the Add button, enter the new remote ID and click OK.