iClicker Classic allows a seamless integration of data between Canvas and iClicker’s gradebook. You can easily download your class roster and student registrations from Canvas and upload iClicker session data into your Canvas gradebook.
Communication with the Canvas plug-in requires set-up and authentication work from your Canvas administrator prior to your use of the application. Your Canvas administrator must provide you with one of the following:
- An iClicker Classic Folder pre-configured for Canvas on your campus
- An xml configuration file for you to download
- You will need to download and place the LMS_Wizard.xml file into the Resources sub-folder of your iClicker Classic application folder. You must have this before you start the integration process.
Follow the steps below to complete the integration process:
- Video: iClicker Integrate with Canvas
- Step 1: Configure Your iClicker Software and Add to Canvas Navigation
- Step 2: Synchronize Your Roster
- Step 3: Upload iClicker Polling Data
- Step 4: Review iClicker Scores in Canvas
- Appendix A: Student iClicker Remote Registration
Select your course name from the course list and click Settings. For directions on creating your course, see Create a Course.
Open course settings
Navigate to the Gradebook tab. Canvas (or a custom label specified by your Admin) should appear for the LMS Name. Click Select Course.
Select course in Gradebook tab
Enter your Canvas username and password and click Login (these are the credentials you use to log into your version of Canvas).
Log in to Canvas and click "Authorize"
You will be asked if you would like to share your account with iClicker. To continue, click Authorize.
Your list of Canvas courses should be shown. Select your Canvas course and click Select.
Select Canvas course to add to Gradebook
Your Canvas course will now be listed in the Gradebook settings in iClicker Classic.
You have the option to synchronize remote registrations from Canvas only. Checking this option will skip the national registration sync and find only registrations from your Canvas registration page.
(Optional) Sync remote registrations from LMS only
If you would like to change the way zeros and absences are uploaded to Canvas, you can change the Export and upload settings in the iClicker settings gradebook tab. Without changing these settings, scores of zero and absences are uploaded as – (dash) to Canvas. There are two options available:
(Optional) Change the way zeros and absences are uploaded to Canvas
- Upload zero scores as zero. When this option is selected, students who receive a score of 0 (meaning, they have no participation or performance points in iClicker but did vote in class), will show as a numeric value of 0 in Canvas (rather than - ).
- Upload Ab (absences) as zero. When this option is selected, students who are absent (and show as Ab in iClicker Gradebook), will show as having a numeric value of 0 in Canvas (rather than - ). You can choose to select both options. If you select both zero and Ab to upload as numeric 0 in Canvas, scores of zero and Absences will both show as numeric 0 in Canvas (rather than - ) when scores are uploaded from iClicker Gradebook to Canvas.
Log into Canvas, and from your course Home, click on Settings.
Go to Canvas settings
Click on "Navigation"
Find iClicker, click the cog, and then click Enable. Then click Save.
Return to top.
Open iClicker Classic and click on Open Gradebook.
Sync roster in iClicker Gradebook
Click the Sync Roster icon.
Your Canvas roster will be downloaded, and you will receive a message that your roster downloaded successfully.
It is recommended that you Sync Roster after drop/add periods are over in order to keep your roster up-to-date.
Note: If your Canvas credentials were not saved during course setup in iClicker, you will need to enter your credentials.
Return to top.
Launch iClicker, select your course and click Open Gradebook.
Sync scores in iClicker Gradebook
From the Gradebook main window, select Sync Scores.
The Upload Scores to LMS window appears, allowing you to select sessions. Select the session(s) you wish to upload and click Next.
Select sessions to upload
Choose how you would like your scores to upload and click Upload.
Customize your uploaded data
Your data will be uploaded to Canvas, and you will receive a confirmation message.
- If your Canvas credentials were not saved during course setup in iClicker, you will need to enter your credentials.
- You will be able to edit individual student iClicker scores within the Grades section of Canvas after you’ve uploaded the data. If your admin has allowed you to upload zero value grades as a numeric zero, you will see students who received no points as “0” rather than “-“ in the Canvas Gradebook.
Log in to Canvas and select the course for which you wish to view your updated gradebook.
Go to Grades in your Canvas course
Once on your course home page, click the Grades link in the left navigation area.
The Grades page will open with your newly imported iClicker scores. The session scores will appear as numeric scores and may be edited like any other scores within Canvas.
Return to top.
- Log into Canvas and select your course.
- Click the iClicker Registration link in the left navigation pane.
- Enter their iClicker remote ID and click Register.