FAQ: iClicker Base

Document created by Digital Support on May 22, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on May 23, 2017
Version 2Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Please view a list of our frequently asked questions below. Have a question that's not listed? Please contact support at support@iclicker.com and we will answer your question and maybe even post it here!

If I run the iClicker software from a flash drive, do I need to plug it into the iClicker base?
What if I need to replace a base?
Will iClicker2 work with the old base?
What do the numbers on the LCD panel on my base mean?
Is there a chance of the base “losing” votes where students and I think they are recorded but they actually are lost?
Can I use my base and instructor remote for more than one course?
Why would students need to bother with changing frequencies at all?
Changing the remote frequency seems like a hassle. Why can’t the base “find” the remotes automatically?
How do students change the frequency on their remotes?
How do you prevent interference from nearby classrooms?
How does the base connect to the computer?
Will the base interfere with any Wi-Fi signals?
How many votes can iClicker receive and how fast can it receive them?
What is the range for the remote and base?
Is installation required?
Where should I place the iClicker base in the classroom?

If I run the iClicker software from a flash drive, do I need to plug it into the iClicker base?

No! If you choose to run iClicker from a flash drive, you can plug it into any free USB port on your computer. 

While the flash drive may be most convenient for some instructors, we do recommend running the software directly from your hard drive if possible. 

Return to top.

What if I need to replace a base?

We are always happy to help troubleshoot and/or replace a base you suspect may be defective. Contact our technical support team atsupport@iclicker.com or toll-free at 866.209.5698 with questions or issues with your base.

Return to top.

Will iClicker2 work with the old base?

For A-E polling (Multiple Choice, True/False, Yes/No), iClicker2 can be used with any base with firmware v3.03 or newer. To take advantage of Numeric and Alphanumeric polling, you need a base with firmware v4.05 or newer. Please contact support@iclicker.com if you need to update your base.

Return to top.

What do the numbers on the LCD panel on my base mean?

The iClicker base features a unique LCD that displays student responses as they come in. Information is updated every second. The LCD display includes the timer on the upper left, the total vote count on the upper right, and the distribution of votes (A-E) or top responses (Numeric and Alphanumeric) across the bottom. The LCD enables you to monitor student voting progress and choices without displaying the graph to the whole class.

Return to top.

Is there a chance of the base “losing” votes where students and I think they are recorded but they actually are lost?

The iClicker base protocol is unique and allows for a superior reliability and accuracy of vote collection. This translates into a system that students trust and results in fewer headaches for you.

Return to top.

Can I use my base and instructor remote for more than one course?

Yes. Your iClicker equipment can be used for as many classes as you like.

Return to top.

Why would students need to bother with changing frequencies at all?

Changing the operating frequency prevents interference with nearby classrooms. By “interference” we mean student votes crossing over from classroom to classroom. It is only necessary to change the frequency if another iClicker system is in use in a nearby room.

Return to top.

Changing the remote frequency seems like a hassle. Why can’t the base “find” the remotes automatically?

The iClicker system has a unique protocol—that is, a unique way for the base and remotes communicate. We considered adopting a protocol similar to competing systems, where the base would automatically find the frequency for the students. But our preliminary research directed us to rethink the approach. Our initial reviewer board (users of competing systems) all complained about students being required to register before voting could occur—they felt they lost 2-3 classes just trying to get students registered. So, we wanted to make sure iClicker could collect and record votes regardless of whether the students were registered or not. Another aggravation consistently voiced by the reviewer board was the daily log-in procedure in which remotes must be “acknowledged” by the base before the remote can vote in the session. So, like the forced registration, we wanted to eliminate the daily log-in. Why do we explain all of this? Because these are the reasons we chose a protocol that requires students to change the remote frequency. We feel that the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks because today’s students are generally very tech savvy, and even those who are not can easily find the directions to change their frequency on the back of their remotes.

Return to top.

How do students change the frequency on their remotes?

If you have selected a frequency other than the default (AA), iClicker will display an alert for your students when you start polling. Directions for changing the frequency are on the back of every remote.

Important: In order to change their frequency, you must first start a polling session. They cannot change the frequency unless their is an active polling session. 

Original iClicker remote:

1. Press and hold the power button on the remote until the “Vote Status” light begins flashing.
2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the two-letter frequency code. The A-E LEDs flash green indicating the frequency change was successful.

iclicker+: 

1. Press and hold the Power button until the Power light flashes green
2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the two-letter frequency code. The A-E LEDs flash green indicating the frequency change was successful.

iclicker2:

1. Press and hold the Power button until the two-letter frequency on the LCD flashes.
2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the new two-letter frequency code. A checkmark appears on the LCD indicating the frequency change was successful.

Both iClicker+ and iClicker2 remember the last saved frequency.

Return to top.

How do you prevent interference from nearby classrooms?

To prevent interference from nearby classrooms, you can change your frequency via the My Settings menu in iClicker. 

Once you change the frequency of your base, press Set for Course, and begin your session session. You and your students will then need to change the frequency of your remotes by following the instructions below. These instructions are also printed on the back of each remote.

Original iClicker remote:

1. Press and hold the power button on the remote until the "Power” light begins flashing.
2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the two-letter frequency code. The "Vote status" light flashes green indicating the frequency change was successful.

iClicker +:

1. Press and hold the Power button until the "Power" light flashes green

iClicker 2:

1. Press and hold the "Power" button until the two-letter frequency on the LCD flashes.
2. Use the A-E buttons to enter the new two-letter frequency code. A checkmark appears on the LCD indicating the frequency change was successful.

Please note that while both iClicker + and iClicker 2 remember the last saved frequency, the iClicker (Original) remotes always change back to the default “AA” frequency when they are turned off.

Return to top.

How does the base connect to the computer?

The iClicker base connects to the computer via USB cable (provided).

Return to top.

Will the base interfere with any Wi-Fi signals?

No. iClicker operates in the 900 MHz band, ensuring no interference with campus Wi-Fi networks.

Return to top.

How many votes can iClicker receive and how fast can it receive them?

The iClicker base receives individual votes in less than a second. iClicker has been used successfully in classes with up to 1,500 students voting.

Return to top.

What is the range for the remote and base?

iClicker has a base-to-remote range of 200-300 feet.

Return to top.

Is installation required?

No. Simply plug the iClicker base into your computer and you are ready to go. No software to download and install.

Return to top.

Where should I place the iClicker base in the classroom?

The iClicker base does not require a line of sight to receive responses; it can be placed anywhere in your classroom. For best performance, we do not recommend placing the base inside any type of metal enclosure, such as a metal podium.

Return to top.

Attachments

Outcomes