FAQ: Grading and Syncing Scores in iClicker Classic

Document created by Digital Support on May 22, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on May 25, 2017
Version 4Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Please view a list of our frequently asked questions below. Have a question that's not listed? Please contact support at support@iclicker.com and we will answer your question and maybe even post it here!

Use iClicker Integrate with a Learning Management System
My school already uses iClicker Integrate, where can I get that software?
I downloaded iClicker Classic but it isn’t working with my LMS, what do I do?
Download Roster and Upload Scores Easily with a Learning Management System
View Results, Grade Responses, and Update Points Awarded
Generate Reports
Export Polling Results
Delete a Student from Your Roster
Delete a Session
Assign or Remove an Unregistered iClicker Remote
How many points should I make iClicker questions worth?
How do I view and display voting results in class?
Can I export polling data to a course management system such as Blackboard or Moodle?
How can I display unregistered remotes on my upload file?
Why aren’t my students’ registrations downloading properly?

How many points should I make iClicker questions worth?

There is not a definitive answer to this question. Users and recent academic literature indicate that clickers are most effective when they are associated with “nominal” points, but not “too many” points. You need to assign enough credit so that students are motivated to bring their remotes to class and to hopefully think about the question being asked. Remarkably, a small number of points (less than 10% of the course grade) is often enough to motivate students to participate in class using their iClicker remotes.

Many experienced clicker users discourage colleagues from assigning a lot of points to clicker questions, especially in large, introductory or survey courses. When clicker questions carry too much point value, the clicker becomes one more tool the student fears, and they are less likely to give an honest answer because they fear they will lose too many points. It can also encourage cheating.

Truth be told, though, it all depends on how you structure your course, your points, and your overall course goals. We also have a number of happy iClicker users who weigh clicker questions heavily, but do so as part of a small group approach for courses with 20-30 juniors and seniors working in teams. For more information on this topic and to discuss your ideas with others, please visit the User Community area of our website at www.iclicker.com.

Return to top.

How do I view and display voting results in class?

A histogram of your students’ results can be displayed either by clicking the “Display/Hide Results” button on the iClicker floating toolbar, or pressing the “B” key on the designated instructor’s remote. You may also see results without having to display the histogram through the LCD screen on your base. The base LCD data is updated every second, and includes the timer on the upper left, the total vote count on the upper right, and the distribution, by percentage, of votes across the 5 choices across the bottom.

Note that you control when and if the voting results are displayed; iClicker does not automatically launch the voting results graph for pedagogical reasons. The flexibility of the iClicker graph, combined with the LCD results feature, enable you to decide if and when voting results are displayed. You may also view and export session results and reports after class using the gradebook.

Return to top.

Can I export polling data to a course management system such as Blackboard or Moodle?

Yes, iClicker supports virtually every course management system in two ways:

1. Manual integration: iClicker polling data is specifically formatted for your designated learning management system (LMS). This enables a quick and painless transfer of data from your Gradebook to your LMS. We offer step-by-step documentation for each system. For more information please click Download Roster and Upload Scores Easily with a Learning Management System.

2. iClicker integrate allows for seamless, one-click integration of data between your LMS and iClicker. This solution does require IT administrator set-up. For more information please click Use iClicker Integrate with a Learning Management System.

Return to top.

How can I display unregistered remotes on my upload file?

In order to display unregistered remotes on your upload file, you must select General in your LMS settings within iClicker. Please note that in order to use the General format, you must also create a roster in iClicker's roster.txt file. To see instructions for doing so click Create and Add Your Roster

Note: We do not include unregistered remote IDs on the upload files for our other LMS formats because doing so would cause an error when the instructor attempted to upload the file to an LMS. Unregistered IDs do not have a Student ID associated with them, and so the data attached to them could not be properly represented on your upload file.

Return to top.

Why aren’t my students’ registrations downloading properly?

Starting in iClicker version 7.7 we have combined our LMS and non-LMS registration databases for an improved student and instructor experience. Part of this change requires that polling data (votes) be collected before clicking the “Sync Roster” in the iClicker Gradebook for Canvas and D2L integrations.

This means that if you are using iClicker version 7.7 or newer with Canvas or D2L integration, students must participate in a poll prior to syncing your roster. If you've downloaded your roster prior to collecting votes, simply wait until after your first polling session to perform another Sync Roster process.

Return to top.

Attachments

Outcomes