FAQ: Using iClicker Classic with Reef Student Application Enabled

Document created by Digital Support on May 22, 2017Last modified by Digital Support on Aug 16, 2017
Version 5Show Document
  • View in full screen mode
Please view a list of our frequently asked questions below. Have a question that's not listed? Please contact support at support@iclicker.com and we will answer your question and maybe even post it here!

Enable Reef Student Application in Your iClicker Cloud Course Settings
Sync Your Roster with Reef Student Accounts
How Students Create and Register a Reef Account
How Students Using Reef Respond to Polls
How Students Purchase or Extend Their Subscriptions
Reef Student Application Question Types
Can students use their smartphones and laptops instead of an iClicker remote?
Can a student use a Cloud subscription in more than one class?
How will remote or distance learning students know what question I am asking?
Can students get a refund if they purchased Cloud but I am not using it?
I have some students who have to purchase course materials at the bookstore. Are Cloud access cards available instead of having students purchase online?
Can Cloud be used for self-paced Quizzing?
Can the iClicker instructor software receive votes from iClicker remotes and Cloud at the same time?
Can I run polling from my iPad or tablet?
Can I use Cloud in a class of 100 or more students?
Is polling slower with Cloud than with the iClicker remotes?
Does Cloud require WiFi in the classroom?
Is my Reef-enabled iClicker Classic course accessible in iClicker Cloud?

Can students use their smartphones and laptops instead of an iClicker remote?

Yes, Cloud is a mobile version of the iClicker remote that runs using a Web browser, iPhone app, or Android app. It is free to create an account and download the app, but students must have an active subscription to use Reef in your course. Reef includes a free 14-day trial subscription that begins when students create an account. Students can purchase additional subscription time at app.reef-education.com or through in-app purchasing in the iOS or Android app.

Return to top.

Can a student use a Cloud subscription in more than one class?

Yes! Access to Reef includes an unlimited number of courses within the subscription period purchased.

Return to top.

How will remote or distance learning students know what question I am asking?

Reef will display a screenshot of your question in real time. You can manage this setting while creating your Reef course or any time after by going to your Course Settings and to the Reef Polling tab.

Return to top.

Can students get a refund if they purchased Cloud but I am not using it?

Reef subscription purchases are non-refundable. When students create a Reef account, they are automatically granted a 14-day free trial; we ask them to use this trial period to test Reef and make sure that their instructor is using it before purchasing additional subscription time.

Return to top.

I have some students who have to purchase course materials at the bookstore. Are Cloud access cards available instead of having students purchase online?

Yes! Instructors can order Reef cards through their campus bookstore. Please contact us with questions about ordering access cards.

Return to top.

Can Cloud be used for self-paced Quizzing?

Yes. You can now conduct self-paced quizzes within Cloud. For more information, please click Run a Quizzing Session

Return to top.

Can the iClicker instructor software receive votes from iClicker remotes and Cloud at the same time?

Yes. As long as a base is plugged in and Reef is enabled, the iClicker software will receive votes from iClicker, iClicker+, iClicker 2 and Reef.

Return to top.

Can I run polling from my iPad or tablet?

Not yet. The Reef software is built upon our standard iClicker 7 polling software, which requires a Windows or Macintosh OS X operating system.

Return to top.

Can I use Cloud in a class of 100 or more students?

Yes, Reef has the capacity to work in very large classes containing several hundred students. However, please remember that your campus’ wireless network may not be able to handle such a large load on its servers.

For an optimal experience, the classroom should be capable of supporting the estimated maximum number of simultaneous connections within the same access area (i.e., sufficient Access Points to support the students in the room and the multiple mobile devices they bring with them).

Return to top.

Is polling slower with Cloud than with the iClicker remotes?

The speed of mobile polling within iClicker is highly dependent on the network speed of the classroom environment. With a robust wireless connection, there is not a significant lag time. If you are experiencing lag, our primary recommendation is for the instructor to plug directly into a hardwired Ethernet connection.

Return to top.

Does Cloud require WiFi in the classroom?

Yes. Your classroom must be WiFi enabled in order for students to participate using their mobile devices.

Return to top.

Is my Reef-enabled iClicker Classic course accessible in iClicker Cloud?

No. Courses created in iClicker Classic cannot be accessed in iClicker Cloud.

Return to top.

Attachments

Outcomes